anyone else find the macrumors fanboyism frustrating?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by chill., Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chill. macrumors 6502

just a general rant about something that's been bothering me for a while

i lurk in the macrumors forums a lot and find that a lot of posters are full of ignorance/arrogance/or just plain idiocy. people will post about something when they have no clue what they are talking about, make inane windows/dell/hp/whatever flames and keep the blinders closed to apple's hypocrisies.

i find the "apple hardware" forums especially bad. the "mac basics" and "buying tips" forums are like a minefield of bad advice where you could spend all day reading mistakes and bias. i've found the "apple software" and "special interests" forums a lot better, where i learn a lot of new and interesting things though it is more topic oriented.

anyone with me on this or am i being too critical?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Fanboys will always be fanboys. The thing is that when Mac fanboys get attacks from PC fanboys, it causes a lot of frustration that I think result in more fanboyism from the fanboys, even on a forum just filled with Mac fanboys. So… there.

And I'm one of them :)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For the most part its tollerable (for me at least) until they mention an Apple games console, suddenly the fans think Apple can take down Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft. I can take someone preferring one competing product over another but not when it's full of gleamy eyed FUDstrosity.

4. alFR macrumors 68020

Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I do feel bad for anyone that comes to this forum looking for advice. The amount of incorrect or just bad advice they have to weigh through is incredible.

OTOH, there's often some fantastic advice found here, so the forum isn't entirely worthless. :)

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

The other poster was right: It's the Internet. Enjoy your stay.

But this is also the "culture" around Apple The Company and Apple The Products. The longer I look at it, the more Apple appears like the Scientology of the computer (and electronic gadget) industry. This combined with Apple's big mouthed marketing and products that do not even remotely live up to their marketing hype when you use them for daily grunt work make Apple land such a shallow, superficial, uncomfortable place to be.

Apple itself reminds me a bit of a certain country in a famous book about a piece of jewelry that everybody wants to have, but those who actually held it in their hands became completely consumed by it.

Did I just hear somebody say "my precious"...?

7. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The internet is OVERFLOWING with wrong information and bad advice. I wouldn't expect a forum situation to be much better. I don't really care about the fanboys, but I assume there would be apple fanboys on a Mac forum.

9. CherryJul macrumors newbie

May I suggest you make a list of these purported fanboys. Submit it to the admins so they can ban them. :)

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With that, I think I'll call this thread.

1) Comments & Criticism about MR, as always, belong in Site & Forum Feedback, where I initially moved this thread.

2) However, this thread really doesn't fall into the category of constructive criticism, and as you note we have no flame war section on MacRumors, creating lists of members you don't like or otherwise calling out or insulting other members of MR is not acceptable behavior.

3) When people violate our rules, please use the report post button [​IMG] to let us know, and we will handle it.

If you have any further concerns, you may use the Contact Us link on any MR page to contact the administrative team, if you'd like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.