Anyone else finding Aperture 3.5 buggy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Internaut, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Internaut macrumors 6502a

I'm using it for the first time this evening (also using Mavericks in anger, for the first time). Couple of issues I've spotted:

I applied the polariser brush to an image (the entire image, as I had lots of small highlights) and then reduced its effect to the minimum I needed. This did its job, but but the image (full screen) didn't respond to other sliders I used (contrast, highlights, shadows and so on). No problem, I thought. I've seen similar before, just after a library has upgraded, so I exited Aperture and reloaded. That got me past one problem.

The next problem I had was after using a few more functions on the same image. The preview (again, full screen) stayed blurry for longer than I'd expect, and exiting full screen caused the preview in the normal Aperture view to show just part of the image. Again, exiting Aperture and reloading did the trick.

Nothing major at this point, and what I've found seems to revolve around the fact I used one of the brushes, but it's not good for my workflow productivity if I have to repeatedly exit Aperture.

Hardware? Late 2011 Macbook Air, so still pretty current (and has always run Aperture reasonably well).

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I have a 100% repeatable crash with Aperture on my mid-2011 MPB with 4GB RAM. If I crop a RAW image from my Nikon D200 Aperture crashes and offers to send a crash report to Apple. The crop actually is there when I restart Aperture so the crash is something that happens after the edit is written back to the library.

It might crash with other file formats and edits. I don't know.

I mostly use Aperture on my iMac but I've not done anything serious with it yet, not even to test the problem.

At least we can feel lucky about Aperture, they did not do to it what they did to Pages.

3. r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

No problems so far on a late 2012 rMBP, 16GB. I've gone through the various scenarios presented thus far and haven't been able to repeat them. I've given my plugins a very light workout as well, with no known casualties: Nik, Topaz, PTLens, onOne.

Which is good (for me), but I wonder what's waiting around the corner :).

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

No major problems just some things seem to take a little longer to load. NIK plugins working OK and no obvious problem with PS. I have noticed that my Microsoft Office for Mac apps especially Word and Excel take a heck of a lot longer to load. The spinning beach ball effect while Mavericks is trying to locate it.:(

5. matthewmagellan macrumors newbie

Same problem, plus Aperture only showing last photo edited, not thumbnails I click

I've seen both of these as well, but the biggest problem is that when I click a thumbnail in the browser view it shows me the last edited photograph, not the thumbnail I click. Quitting and reloading solve this too, until I edit 5 or 6 photos, and then it only loads the last edited photograph again, no matter which thumbnail I click.

Can't find this problem anywhere online. Anyone else seeing this?

6. mrf-user macrumors newbie

Buggy is little to say, on my system it is completely unusable

After updating to OSX Mavericks and required update of the Aperture library, all photos (jpg and raw) in all projects shows very blurry. More, when trying to select a photo for edition, the blurry image changes to a black rectangle. When trying to export, it fails with the “unsupported file format” error.
    Practically Aperture is completely brocken.

I have more than 20000 photos stored on a Synology NAS. The projects in Aperture are small, no more than 20-40 photos each and I import without copying the original to the Aperture library. I run Aperture on a late 2008 MBP since few years in this configuration without any problem.

To test, I create a new library and import some photos. I get same blurry photos on screen. However when I open the same photos in Preview or other applications they look normal.

Any similar experience with Mavericks?

7. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

No, things work flawlessly on my machine. I haven't noticed any corruption nor experienced any crashes.

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Seems to crash instead of quit about half the times I try to quit it.

9. r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

Interestingly, the more I've used it, the less stable it seems. In particular with the Nik plugins. Because I upgraded both at roughly the same time, I don't know if it's a problem with one or the other (or both).

Odd and not always repeatable:
    * Returning from editing with Silver Efex Pro, changes do not show up on the main Aperture image view, only the thumbnail. Restart fixes.
    * Choosing other thumbnails does not change the image on the main view. Restart fixes.
    * Sometimes viewing in full screen (using or not using plugin), the only thing that shows is a square with a bit of image in it, the size of which is the size of the image prior to resizing it (if that makes any sense :)). Again restart fixes.

So far, the other plugins aren't exhibiting the same behavior.