Anyone else get a white spot on Ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lamarak, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Just recently a white spot on left hand bottom area of my Ipad2 appeared. I will be going into my local apple store next week to have them look at. I have the extended apple care on it, but was curious if anyone else had this problem and what Apple did to fix it. Its right around where the A is on the keyboard when it pops up to type.

Reason waiting till next week its a 25 mile trip and waiting for my new iphone to have them install a clear screen cover for my phone. Done it for me on my last few phones and Ipad id bought from apple store.

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I don't think Apple will replace it for your jizz stain......:p;)

All jokes aside, what is the substance? water, dust? it's under the screen?

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Apple Retail staff are no longer permitted to install screen shields....

4. Lamarak thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i called and got different answer than you. If buy screen from them they install it for you, so I will take the information that i got from the actual store than what you said.

5. slanted macrumors newbie

I've got this on mine, just noticed it a few weeks ago. It's about the size of pencil eraser and is most visible on a white background -- the spot is brighter than the rest of the background. I will be curious what the Apple folks tell you.

6. bluejin39 macrumors newbie

7. slanted macrumors newbie

Yep, my spot is identical to the one in the link, only upper left corner in portrait view.

8. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

That happened to my ipad 1 before within the year i bought it. I got it replaced.

9. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

I just noticed the same on mine - very light and only shows on a white background and most noticeable when I'm scrolling. Trying to decide if it's worth taking it back...

Anybody else had any experience / does it get worse over time?

10. kronborg macrumors member

I have the same thing. Noticed it once in a while the first week, but haven't since. So not a problem for me. The dot hasn't changed over time, I guess.

11. michi098 macrumors newbie

My iPad2 also has this dot now. It's larger than a single pixel, more like 5-10 pixels width (the center being brighter than the outer area), and also only shows up on white or gray areas. It's pretty annoying, mine is just a little bit off center. I'm taking my iPad in in the next few days, hopefully they can do something about it. I saw that some were discussing drying adhesive etc... My iPad 2 was bought a few days after it came out, so that can't be it. Plus the dot just appeared a few days ago.

12. kronborg macrumors member

Sounds like what I've got, mine's maybe a bit smaller though, and not found in the center area. Please share their thoughts, if they tell you what it is exactly.

13. michi098 macrumors newbie

Well, just got back from the genius bar. I showed her the iPad, she didn't even blink, punched a bunch of stuff in her iPad, told me sorry, currently not in stock, but we will have a new one for you within 5 days. While she was typing on her iPad and listing the reason code, I thought I saw "white spot" as reason code. Don't quote me, I may have imagined it. Either way, it must be semi common as this didn't stump her one bit. She had obviously seen this issue before. After the light bleed, this will be my 3rd iPad 2...

Oh, and I forgot to ask what the issue actually is. If I remember when I pick the new one up, I will ask.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm waiting till just before my warranty is up and getting it swapped.

15. michi098 macrumors newbie

Got my new iPad today. I asked what he thought the problem is, he said there are seven layers in the display, a few of them, when there is some pressure on them, and they touch each other, can cause lighter or darker spots. Could be caused by pressure on the display from outside damage, or inside from something unknown. Oh well. Glad I got mine exchanged.