Anyone else get their lightning connector stuck in their computer?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hulkamaniac418, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Hulkamaniac418 macrumors newbie

Happened to me last night when I went to charge my iPod Touch. Had to slide some little pieces of cardboard in between to finally get it out. Apparently this has happened to several people with their iPhones.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Nope here! Using mac mini, and macbook air. Which laptop are you charging it with?

3. Hulkamaniac418 thread starter macrumors newbie

Acer Satellite laptop. I guess us non-Apple computer users are being punished. ;)

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Sounds like usb 2.0 plug quality on your acer!

5. BigRingIt macrumors member

I had mine stuck in the USB port of my corded Mac keyboard. I had to pry it out with a precision screw driver

6. iEvolution macrumors 65816

So not only did they kill 3rd party compatibility, force users to buy the conversion adapter from them (which they cant even keep up with) and use the word lightning as if it is somehow superior in speed/performance from the previous plug..it has a special feature were it gets stuck in USB ports?

Totally disappointed with this move and this is in fact the reason right now that I am sticking with my 4th gen. I cannot understand why Apple refuses to use standard adapters such as micro-usb..or wait I do..because they can charge people for their special adapters and make more money.

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

8 pin> 30 pin > micro usb! Facts read them all over google.com

8. Xeblade macrumors regular

I read about this happening to another user and they just took it into the store with their iPod touch and got a brand new one.

9. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Don't really care the advantages the so called "lightning adapter" holds is much less than the disadvantages it causes. Apple's silly obsession with thinness is..well silly.

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

So you dont care about new technology instead! :rolleyes: not sure if cereal!

Well why bother having a 4s when you can buy big phones out there if you cant careless about how a gadget can be so thin!

11. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Don't be silly, there is a difference between shaving a half a inch off a device thinness versus .5 millimeter. :p

The 4th gen was plenty thin, I find no good reason (other than making money through questionable methods) to cut 3rd party support and corner the market with conversion adapters.

There comes a point where the thinness and smallness of a device hurts more than it helps. 3rd generation shuffle is a great example of Apple taking small one step too far.

Don't get me wrong, their ability to shove full feature products into such a small container is amazing but it's not worth it if it causes more harm than good.

12. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Maybe not to you but worth it for me big time! This is why i never invest into buying accessories!

It's 2012 why get a dock speaker when I got a bad ass airplay speaker or even my bluetooth speaker.

You sounds like the people that complain about a mba without an optical drive! (Buy a $700 phone cant afford to buy a dock adapter or invest in new cables!)

It is a connector it will be replace eventually because of techonlogy not because apple wants more moneyin their pocket!

13. dchao macrumors 6502a

I'm sure the USB is just a small glitch. It wasn't even made in China, but in Vietnam. So the quality might not up to Foxconn's normal standard yet.

Yep, if you look at the history of Apple, you will notice that Apple have always been pushing for the latest technology in inter-connections, giving users the simplest connection solutions. From FireWire, 802.11n, mini display port, thunderport, to lightning connector, everying is designed to take the massive cables away from us.

Every time, I open an Apple computer product, I alway admire the each cable they carefully packaged into the box. Even down to the power cord, or the AC adapter, it has been carefully made to the highest standard. That is why I never complaint about the Apple taxes. ;)

----------

If its shaving 1mm off an HDTV, then it doesn't matter. But if it is something you hold in your hand all the time and you can feel the difference, then it becomes very important to me.

14. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I'm not always around a computer, but electrical outlets can be easily found, so I just use the Apple 10W USB power adapter. The lightning connector fits perfectly and I get a fast recharge.

15. sdyoyo macrumors member

Mine was stuck on my mac usb keyboard usb port, had to wiggle it out slowly, maybe after a while it'll loosen up and fit better.

16. aquaboi924 macrumors member

happened to me just now on my fujitsu. and it didn't charge at all! damn!:eek:

17. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

It is a bit snug in my mac mini, but comes out ok.

J

18. Bitgod macrumors regular

Bitgod

I use my cord with 2 USB extensions, depending on which computer it's plugged into, and while I haven't gotten "stuck", it's not easily unplugged. Definitely the snuggest fit I've ever seen with a USB plug.

19. Xeblade macrumors regular

I completely agree! I'm wanting to get a bluetooth speaker/airplay speaker for my new iPod :)

20. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

I found this thread in a search. I just got an Apple corded keyboard with USB ports. I hoped to eliminate the cord hanging from the back of my iMac but I found that my lightning cables get hopelessly stuck in the keyboard's USB ports. No other USB cables have this problem. When I compared the lightning cables with other USB cables I noticed that the plastic insert in the non-lightning cables fills the holes in the metal ferrule. The plastic insert in the lightning cables has dimples where the holes are. I think that causes the spring tabs in some USB ports to get stuck.

I checked my old 30-pin cables and they are not designed this way.

Does anyone know the reason for the design change? It has essentially made the USB ports on my new keyboard useless.

Are there revised lightning cables that are not designed this way?

Thanks all!

21. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My 30-pins used to come apart when I took them OFF the USB port (the caps they have at the end). I think that's why they made it simpler.

Mine gets stuck too, a little bit more force fixes the issue though.