Anyone else getting a "tingly" feeling in their Siri Remote when charging?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by joefrank64k, Oct 31, 2015.

1. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

This is a new one for me!

I decided to charge the Siri Remote using an Apple Lightning cable and Apple charger. When I plugged in the Siri remote, I felt a strange "tingly" or "static-y" feeling on the aluminum back. When I unplugged it, the feeling went away and it was back to feeling like smooth aluminum. Weird!

My wife could also feel the difference. We live in a modern home with up-to-date electrical. I tried different cables/chargers/outlets and got the same results.

When the remote was done charging, I picked it up while it was still plugged in and the tingly feeling was gone.

Anyone else getting this? I'm thinking of heading back to the Apple Store for a replacement Siri remote.

2. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Just tried it, no static or tingling. I would ask for a replacement.

3. joefrank64k thread starter macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

Thanks for checking! I've never felt this with any other Apple product (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, Apple Watch) so it definetly got my attention.

4. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

I have it too. Its very minor. Happens a lot when charging devices with a metal body

5. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

You could try for a replacement. I've not had to charge mine yet but I might give it s go just to see. Not that I'm fussed, it's not like 5volts dc is going to do any damage to anyone or anything. But I'm curious by nature :D

6. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

Why do you even need to charge the remote yet? Apple claims 3 months on a full charge and mine came fully charged.

7. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Some of us have had the Apple TV for a while now (Dev kits.) so the remote won't be far off needing a charge. I just checked mine and it's at 20%

8. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

My ATV4 arrived without the Siri Remote paired or charged. Had to do both myself.

9. joefrank64k thread starter macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

No need to charge, just curious to see what happens when it's plugged in (on-screen messages, etc).

10. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

MacBook Pros also do this if you plug the power adapter in with the plug attachment. It doesn't happen if you use the longer extension plug cable to connect the power adapter.

11. joefrank64k thread starter macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

Haha! I thought the same thing. :D

12. joefrank64k thread starter macrumors 6502

joefrank64k

Interesting...I've only charged my MacBook Airs with the extention cable.

13. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Try it with the plug directly in the adapter. Not sure if Airs are affected but it was a weird sensation. I got it all the time on two previous MBPs, when charging and typing, the palms of my hands resting on the chassis just below the keyboard had a tingly, rubbing sensation.