Anyone else getting serious shocks from the new in-ear Apple headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmpage2, Jan 27, 2009.

1. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I own several pairs of high end headphones and have never gotten shocked from any of them.

I am getting painful shocks all the time with my new in-ear headphones, even when doing light activity like shoveling my walk way this morning.

What gives?

I can swap the Apple headphones out for some crappy Senheisers in mid "shock" and the shocks stop!

2. Kitestring macrumors member

I've had the same thing happen. Now and then as i am walking along it shocks me in the ear.

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I smell a lawsuit!
    I would say sweat is causing it as both of you were doing work when you got schocked.

4. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

TBH, I was super disappointed with these. I bought them at the Apple Store and could barely get them to fit. Five minutes after buying and trying, I was returning them. :mad::rolleyes:

I was hoping they'd be way better.

If you are getting shocked, get a new pair or explain and return them.

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I get shocks as well
    I've found that its from taking off my jacket while listening to music
    I have a jacket that seems to generate lots of static when I remove it, and the shock always travels up the headphones into my ear

6. carcassone macrumors newbie

Hmm, l replaced mine last month and have noticed the shocks too. This is my third pair and I never have this shock problem with the previous two. Maybe a bad batch? Time to visit the Apple Store...

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I think it has to do with something in the cord because it happens to me with the new in-ears when I take off my coat, but it previously happened to me all the time with the regular stock earphones which I had modded. I had Sennheiser CX300 buds put onto the stock iPhone cable and got shocked, again, any time I took off my coat.

8. M0bile macrumors regular

It happens to me when I put on/take off my fleece hoody. Sometimes from my backpack. Can you get replacement headphones for this at the Genius Bar or is it just something I have to deal with?

9. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I don't think it's sweat as when I was shoveling and getting shocked it was 10 degrees outside and I definitely wasn't sweating.

It's probably friction with clothing resulting in static.

But that doesn't explain why none of my other headphones do this, time for some explaining Apple!.

10. henchosbandito macrumors member

the only shocks i have experienced from them were
    1. the price (relatively low for the technology)
    2. the poor fit of the earbuds

Sorry, no complaints of physical shocks

11. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Holly Sh*T! I got shocked today!!!!! Got it in both ears a few minutes apart. I was not moving or rubbing against anything. I was sitting at my wood desk in the office watching a video. WTF!!!!

12. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

hasn't happened to me yet. i like the earphones

13. christall109 macrumors 6502

This does explain why I got shocked yesterday at the gym while I was lifting. I just thought it was from the glances by the hot girls looking at my bod.

But seriously I have gotten shocked in the ear while wearing them before. If Apple came out with a software update that would enable the volume controls on my original iPhone, I am willing to "forget" about it.