Anyone else getting the rainbow wheel a lot on your iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mikelegacy, Sep 18, 2011.

1. mikelegacy, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I think i need a memory upgrade. I run CS5.5 and some other design applications up to 4 or 5 open at a time, and I get the Rainbow wheel a HECK of a lot.

I have one of the new iMac's that were released on May 4th or whatever. It's the base model 27"er.

Would upgrading from 4 to 16GB of RAM help much? I think i'm gonna get that 4x4B package from Other World Computing for like $160. Well worth it if it clears up the rainbow ring problem. I never thought this quad-core computer would rainbow wheel more than my early 2008 MBP.

Any suggestions?

2. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

Before investing in more RAM or anything else for that matter, open up Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check that you are actually maxing out your RAM while using your applications.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Lol I've never heard it called the rainbow ring.... get moar RAM !

5. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

HAHAHA. Yeah, I need to change my post title. I called it the rainbow wheel in my actual post, which is much more fitting.

I definitely have been thinking about upgrading since the day I bought the iMac.

That said to another above poster, I have checked while I am not "maxing" my RAM, I am getting damn close to.

That is only when I am checking though. Most of the time when I am working on design projects, I won't even notice that I have 6 Adobe programs open, and that I am using them all simultaneously. That is when I get the beach ball and at that point, I am not checking my Activity Monitor.

When I am checking it, usually I just have photoshop and illustrator open, and depending on the size of the project, my monitor is showing pretty close to max.

6. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Get more RAM - however $160 for 16 GB is way too much to pay. Newegg had a special for 2x4 GB sticks for $27 (sold out now). You should be able to get 16 GB for around $100. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00032314&IsNodeId=1&name=204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM
    Amazon was also having some specials on RAM so you might check there as well.
    Even just going from 4 to 8 GB has eliminated beachballing on my 27 iMac while using CS5.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I had 8GB ram in my iMac and was seeing a lot of beach balling and a lot of paging activity (it wasn't unusual to see 5GB of swap space used). I upgraded to 16GB (£80 from Crucial UK) and since then it's been like a new computer without a single beach ball
    Lion really seems to like lots of memory :)

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Thats showing how you Mac doesnt have enough RAM for multitasking.
    get more RAM and problem solved.
    If it still continues thats a different problem then.