Anyone else getting tons of phishing emails lately?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Nov 14, 2008.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

I occasionally check my gmail spam to ensure that I didn't miss anything(gmail has been pretty good about it now, but in the early days there were tons of false positives) and of course to get a good chuckle from the spammers.

However, I've been noticing that there have been a massive amount of phishing attacks recently, more than 50% of my spam is phishing, and the phishers even manage to get the occasional mail past the spam filter :eek:

Whenever I see one, I click on the "report phishing" button in the gmail web app, but I don't know what, if any, good that does. Anyone else seeing this too? Make sure you educate your friends and relatives who may not be as savvy as you....

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I don't know what you mean. Could you please log on to your MacRumors account here, download an upgraded certificate and resubmit the question?

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

This is exactly I stopped using gmail for most of my email use. And I opted to not have the spam folder updated through IMAP, so I never see any spam. But I'm sure that it's there.
    Your link is broken. I cannot hand over my SSN, name, address, credit card numbers, et al without a working link!

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've actually never received a phishing email and I also use Gmail. Maybe they know that I'm dangerous and not to be messed with.

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I too have noticed an increased amount of Phishing, however I do not use Gmail primarily. I have an iPod touch for sale on CraigsList currently, and I have my Webmail set so that I get a Text Message when I recieve an email. I get a message (Usually from a scammer) every half-hour or so:mad:

On a side note, If you email them back with a "Colorful" Message, I wonder if they will reply :confused:

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm in the same boat with my Gmail accounts. I have one for everything email, then I've set-up a 2nd account for personal, private and family emails. I've noticed that my 2nd account barely gets spam or phishing emails, but the primary account which I use for CL and EBay as well, tends to see most of the spam/phishing emails getting diverted to SPAM folder on a consistent basis. I've also set up two separate EDU school emails, and they never get SPAM, but there was a period last year that some pishing was going on at both EDU accounts. And, yes, there have been more getting through to my Gmail INBOX, and even more getting to my SPAM folder... Scary :eek:

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't get very much spam and I can only remember one time when I got a phishing email.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My inbox has been getting worse. Even at the point where I might as well just set up another account on my hosting. They're almost always bank and Paypal related stuff but so obviously fake.
    They can't get to me though. If I get an email from either then I'll go to their respective sites myself.