Anyone else getting unreal battery life on iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by beautifulcoder, Nov 25, 2013.

1. beautifulcoder, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

beautifulcoder macrumors regular

Like the title says, getting over 18 hours of reading, surfing, and checking email. Radical!

Attached Files:

2. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Nope.

Have always had s*it battery life on the iPhone.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The less you use it the longer the battery lasts. Since you aren't doing much with it the battery lasts longer. Not a revelation.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

I have loads of low battery logs from the iPad 2 that claims over 15 hours of usage and a week of standby, but when actually using it I get 8-10 hours of usage. My guess is that it's background processes, notifications and such (system processes, not user ones) adding up over the days that makes the huge difference.

5. Naor macrumors regular

That's iPad, always has had a great battery life, not the case on iPhones.

6. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

This is UNREAL

Found it from another user here LOL

Attached Files:

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It simply depends on how you use it.

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Well I did my 6th DFU restore 24 hours ago (iPhone 5) and set it up as a new phone etc. Then I reset all settings and reset network settings. Then I switched off almost everything and crippled my phone. Still I'm getting dreadful battery life!
    The thing is, immediately after the fresh installation I seemed to be getting decent battery life, I managed 58 minutes of WiFi surfing with my first 10% of battery life. Then it just started plummeting and I only managed 45 mins with my next 15%. This is what iOS 7 has always been like for me, a steady worsening of the battery performance over the course of a cycle. The first 10% is always quite good but it never keeps up with that rate of drain. I have emails set to fetch, no Facebook app, Spotlight turned off, parallax off, notification centre off, screen on low brightness, location services off etc but nothing seems to make much of a difference. My phone is only 4 months old and worked perfectly with iOS 6. There isn't a 'setting' I have missed here, this latest o/s just DOESN'T work well on my iPhone 5.

9. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

True. But his 7 days of standby with 18 hours of anything is pretty damn amazing.

10. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

That's funny, because a Nokia ad pokes fun at the iPad's battery life and claims their tablet gets up to 16 hours, lol. Same here. I'm at about 15 hours of usage with 19% remaining.

----------

They claim 10 hours of USAGE, and he's getting 18. Standby time is irrelevant here.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I should have been clearer. He has WiFi and Bluetooth and who knows what else turned off. Despite his claims of surfing and e-mail he's using it as a "reader". My guess is that the thing isn't doing much more than powering the backlight and we don't know how bright he has it set. We also don't know which one it is. It's not cellular and it appears he has no apps.

But it's obvious by now I'm not impressed. He's sipping battery and that's fine, but I've been playing Minecraft on an iPad 3 and my Usage is 1 hour (which makes the thing warm), Standby is almost 9 hours, and my battery is at 88%. The term Usage will have a specific definition and he ain't doing it. It's cool he has an 18 hour nightlight.

It's a contrived scenario and the title of the thread is misleading. It's no different than those hyper-mileage drivers that brag about getting 80 miles per gallon that roll through stop signs and coast to a stop for three blocks. Sorry, I'm not a hater it just doesn't impress me. So I guess to answer OP's question: No, because I use mine.

12. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

I bet you £5 I could beat that.

Care to take me up on the wager?

13. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

they claim 10 hours of average usage.
    i can turn wifi and blue tooth off, put the brightness on its lowest and just sit and stare at it for 18 hours...

14. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I get about 10-12 hrs usage and 2 days standby on my Mini.

On my 4S, i get about 5hrs usage and 2 days standby.

On the 5S, i get about 5-6 hrs usage and 2 days standby.

I know that battery usage also depends on your carrier. I used to get barely a days usage when I was with AT&T on my Nexus 7/Nexus 4/iPhone 4S. Once I switched to T-Mobile, my standby times increased incredibly. That carried over to my 5S which is on T-Mobile as well.

I also had a Verizon 4S once that barely made it a day on standby as well. With AT&T and Verizon, I had no data at home. I finally got tired of them both last January and switched to T-Mobile.

15. RebornProphet Suspended

My iPad 4 is currently at 11 hours use and 4 days of standby with 29% left.

The Nokia ad mentioned earlier is false and factually wrong. How long was he sitting in that cafe?

Anyway my use includes gaming, browsing via wifi at home and via cellular by tethering to my iPhone while commuting to/from work, and using apps like Sky Go and social media.

My iPad hasn't been near a charger since I took it out the wall on Monday before heading out the door to begin my working week.

Impressive, as others have said, regardless of what you use it for.

16. beautifulcoder thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I use Safari quite extensively (actually browsing not starring at it :)). I turn off the wireless radio when I'm not using it but haven't really noticed a significant drop in battery life so it's just a bad habit from the PC Dark Age. It is true I read a lot and my eyes are sensitive to brightness. I only need to recharge once a week and that particular week I happened to install an update to iBooks from the App Store and played with the new iBooks for a bit. As far as "apps", Apple gives me everything I need in a portable so no need to add bloat ware. I actually think third party apps are a good way of ruining your user experience including battery performance but that's just my opinion. So yea, 18 hours of USAGE, pretty amazing huh?

17. ZipZap macrumors 601

i got 16 hours of use and 15 days of standby on my iPad air

18. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Yes, it has been so good I quit posting it. People were getting angry because it was so good..

19. SunshineFires macrumors regular

SunshineFires

iPads always have amazing battery life. iPhones not so much, but my 5s has really surprised me so far.

20. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I haven't been getting very good battery life lately on my iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.4, but before with the earlier versions of iOS 7 (7.0, 7.0.1), it was excellent.

21. I7guy macrumors G5

I can eek out 8 hours. Icloud turned off, location on, some background apps. I could probably reach two days if all I did was look at mail; safari, navigation, streaming suck the life out if the battery. This is on 7.0.4 on iphone 5s. My ipad 2 always got fantastic battery life.

22. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I'm always impressed how low power consumption is in standby although I suppose it's a given.

I can go a day with my iPhone not dropping below the 90s, but with normal use it gets to somewhere between 30-70%. Luckily there's almost no case when I can run the battery down entirely during a day, and if I do it's in the small hours when I don't need it much anyway.