Anyone else going from 5s to 6s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Holte139, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Holte139 macrumors regular

I will be! I'm on a decent deal (UK) at the moment, in August I signed a new 12-month SIM-only contract with unlimited minutes and texts plus 4GB of data (tethering included). I know that sounds like a stupid thing to do but I needed to swap to unlimited minutes from 200 as I've recently started a business! I also used to have unlimited data, but after shopping around got a discount to £15 from £18 and 2GB extra data.

Anyway, as I have 11 months left on my new deal, I thought that my best option would be to sell my 5s as it's in a really good condition, then I can buy a 6s with a decent 'discount'.

So, is anyone else planning on doing something similar?

2. laurarh macrumors regular

I'm going from the 5s to the 6s+ so I'm pretty excited to get the larger screen size. At first I was a little torn about whether or not it was too big but considering that's the part that I'm most excited about, I think it was a good choice. I'm just using the upgrade and going onto the Verizon payment plan. With the line discount, I'm only paying $10 more per month.

3. Holte139 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah OK, I'm a little different in that I'm planning to buy the 6s outright, so I can to keep a low monthly cost. The handset can go on the credit card, whatever I get for my 5s I'll use to pay off a chunk!

4. Elastic Love macrumors member

Same here...I'm coming from the 5s to the 6S+.

5. CYKBC macrumors 6502

6. flur macrumors 68000

5s to 6s. I'm not super psyched about the size increase, but the new camera and other new features have convinced me to go for it.

7. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

5 to 6S+ for me. I put over half down with the Verizon payment plan so I'm getting $6 back every month and paying for my phone.

8. Holte139 thread starter macrumors regular

I find it fascinating to hear how much more flexible phone plans seem to be in the US compared to the UK.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I've loved my 5s and didn't want to go bigger, but if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em. Besides, the s upgrades always get a better camera, and this year sees a sizable hardware update with 3d touch. Friday can't come fast enough.

10. kcellup macrumors regular

kcellup

i am going from a 5s to a 6s. I am on a two year unlimited plan from AT&T and like paying just $299 for my phone. I decided to go 6s this time, because it is already a bigger screen then my 5s and can allow some flexibility to go bigger the next time I upgrade.

11. MasterRattler macrumors member

5s to 6s plus on vZw for me too!! My wife has two iPhone 6 pluses one for work and one for personal and I have been jealous the entire year. I kept putting off getting the 6 plus because I didn't get it at launch and there was wait to get it...then once February got here I was like I may as well wait for the new one.

12. gixxerfool, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I don't know about flexible.

I have been sitting on my upgrade for over a year because I intended to leave Verizon, but I get a large discount through my employer that is impossible for anyone else to beat.

Since my plan is an old subsidy plan I have the additional option of retaining that and moving my device to a payment plan. Because of that I get a $25 credit on my data until the device is paid for. So that's how that worked out.

It was a much better move since my wife is still under contract and will be paying the $40 until it's up. After my 2 years I can then decide if I want to keep my phone, get another new one or switch to another non-subsidy plan.

13. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Yes. 5s to 6s. I'm not keen on the size increase, but loving that it is reported to be dang fast.

14. SgtPepper23 macrumors regular

i am! i'm still debating whether or not to sell it or trade it in though. I've got an older Sprint plan that doesn't limit Data, even LTE, so i want to keep that!

15. Holte139 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, seems like a good deal, although perhaps flexible was the wrong word, judging by your last paragraph you certainly seem to have a lot more options!

16. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Being on the old subsidy plan does offer me an additional option new customers won't get. I can buy it outright, go to a device payment plan, or do it the old way by paying part up front and the rest is built into the plan.

They all dictate what my payment per phone is. I like the device payment plan as it keeps me out of contract and if I do leave I can pay off the phone and be done. All this time I'm paying the phone not an overinflated data charge.

17. akaiser22 macrumors newbie

I'm going from 5S to 6S+

I've had 3G, 4S and 5S. Must say that my 5S is still pretty fast compared to when I first got it. Right before I went to the 5S, my old 4S seemed to barely work.

18. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

I'm going from a 5s to 6s on a Verizon payment plan as well and I'm super excited!! With the line discount my bill is pretty much the exact same as before. Can't wait for the bigger screen and all the new features, plus the pretty rose gold color!

19. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

I'm also going from 5S to 6S. I bought the 5S on a 24 month plan, but the 6S outright as the savings on a plan are not so big this time around and I was burnt by the data limit not increasing in line with industry standards during my 24 month contract. My Mum is excited to be getting my 5S as an upgrade from her 4S. 70th birthday present covered!

20. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

Yea my mom is getting my 5s as well and my grandma is getting her 5s (mine is a 32, hers is a 16 and she's always running out of memory). :)

21. OrionsByte macrumors regular

OrionsByte

Personally going from a 32gb 5s to a 128gb 6s Plus... I needs the space, I needs it I tell you!

Seriously when it gets to the point that I have to delete my videos as soon as they're backed up just so I can launch my Lightroom app without it complaining that there's not enough free space for syncing... it's time to upgrade.

22. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Same. I've wanted the larger display in Space Gray since the 6+ launched last year, but decided to wait for the 6s+ instead. Not all the improvements I wanted to happen did (native display resolution, OLED, and 32 GB base model storage), but the 6s+ should still be enough over the 6 to justify the wait.