Anyone Else Going to Use A Portable USB DAC/Headphone Amp With the 2015 Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jazz1, Apr 22, 2015.

1. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

One of the joys of getting a new computer is rigging it out with accessories. Maybe this should be posted in the accessories forum so I'll make it short. I just thought I'd share with new Macbook 2015 owners and get them thinking.

Just got the Audioengine D3. Fresh out of the box. No burn in. Sounds more satisfying than the headphone out port (B&W P7 and Hififman 400i). Of course there is a USB-C to USB adapter in the chain.

My biggest fear is that it will suck down the laptop battery. So I'm watching that.

2. Dekimasu macrumors regular

I'm probably going to stick with the headphone jack and 320s. When I tried it out with the P7s in-store, the signal from the new MacBook seemed quite clean. I don't know if I'll still feel that way when the laptop actually shows up and I can use it somewhere that's quieter to start with.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Nope. The rMB speakers are pretty incredible.

4. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Ha! It never occurred to me to use the laptop's speakers, as usually the sound awful! The rMB does sound good!

5. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I tested my HE-400 Hifiman cans with ODAC and O2 amp, worked well!

6. Bleedcubbieblue macrumors newbie

The speakers are awesome and it's also better with my Beats attached.

7. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Well, incredible for what they are.

I am still looking for a solid set of genuinely closed headphones that does not need a DAC. Unfortunately, matching the isolation of the HD380s and sounding good is a bigger challenge.

8. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I like this thread and decided to chime in mostly to see what rigs you guys have. I've got a PS Audio Nuwave DAC and GCHA headphone amp that I use with some Fostex TH-600's. The setup is connected via USB to my mac mini right now.

Actually just picked up a new rMBP 13" today in lieu of the new Macbook since I'll be waiting for revision 2. However, when I do pick up the new Macbook revision 2, I'll want to connect the headphone rig to it at certain times.

Anyone using a usb-c to usb adapter and if so, how does your rig sound? Any degradation? Is there a usb-c to usb cable (one type of connector on each end)? I would prefer no adapters and as short of a signal chain as possible, but obviously we don't have much to work with on the new Macbook.

9. 5errated macrumors member

mine will be my not-at-home rig, and mostly for at work, so i'll probably get Schiit's new usb dac/amp. ($79 i think?) I have their bifrost uber and lyr for my HD650's, so if their new usb dongle is of the same quality--I think I'll be quite pleased with their new usb dongle. I just need to get some decent headphones for work

10. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

If I wasn't going to be moving around (coffee shops/hotels/airports/sandwich shops) I'd have gone with Schiit's desktop. The mobile Fulla looks good. Price/performance looks good on their desktop amps and DAC.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I have always been satisfied with the speakers on past Macs. But the ones in the rMB are definitely an improvement.