Anyone else got a loud "cracking" noise coming from their MBP Touch bar?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dealmaker, Sep 29, 2017.

1. dealmaker macrumors 6502

It started a few weeks ago - one of the first 2016 MBP 15" with Touch bar.

Would open it up and after a few minutes there would be a gentle "creak" noise from the unit (or the screen - not sure which).

Over successive weeks its got louder and louder to the point where its now like a loud "POP" or "CRACK" noise - and its becoming quite disconcerting - to the point that sometimes people stare across the table at meetings when it does it ......

The machine seems to perform fine albeit it had to have a new keyboard a couple of months ago due to some issues with it.....

Anyone else had this and had it resolved - or indeed did it get worse and there is a root cause??

2. Discopants macrumors newbie

Mine has starting doing this when its loaded up on the processors, see this thread for more details
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7825434?start=0&tstart=0

3. surfari, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

surfari macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2017 ---
    Yes I that issue. Mine is a 2017 MBP 15" touch and it is the upgraded spec 3.1 GHz with 1 TB SSD and Radeon Pro 560 4 GB GPU. The noise started about 2 weeks after I purchased it and it has gotten much worse. I knew right off the bat what it was as I'd experienced it before.

I purchased a new upgraded spec 2016 MBP 15" touch when they came out. I started to have issues immediately where the computer would double type characters or not type so I setup an appointment with the Apple Store. They said the logic board had gone and they refunded my money and they sold me an exact duplicate machine.

The replacement 2016 MBP 15" touch (machine #2) worked fine and then I started to hear faint "pop" noises. As time went on they got much more frequent and louder. I setup an appointment with the Apple Store and the tech said the only way to fix the machine was to send it back to Apple. I use it for work so I said I'd wait until the 2017 models came out and just purchase a new one; after which I would send machine #2 back to be fixed and then sell it.

The 2017 models came out and I got lucky enough to find an upgraded spec model at my local Apple Store. I then transferred everything to the new machine and made an appointment to drop off machine #2 so that it could be sent in for repair. It came back in 3 days with a new logic board. The repair was covered under warranty and the repair cost if it hadn't was listed. I forget the exact amount but it was over $1,000. I immediately put the machine on Craigslist and someone bought it. I took a hosing to the tune of $1,400 as these machines are not holding their value.

No sooner did I sell that machine then I started to get the issue on my 2017 model. Like I said I use this for work and can't be without a computer.

My first Apple computer was a MBPr and then I've had the three touch models. I've come to the conclusion that an Apple computer is no different than a Windows. The software has just as many glitches and the hardware breaks as much.

My 2017 has Apple care and I backup automatically at home and my office (Time Machine & Carbon Copy Cloner) on network drives as well as to external drives so I'm going to just let the thing sound like an OLD POS until it won't work and then send it back to Apple for Apple Care repair. Pretty sad for a $4,000 investment.

4. dealmaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks- wow - so LOTS of people with this issue then. I hope it doesn't star to affect machine performance. I wonder what Apple are planning on doing about this?

5. dojoman macrumors 65816

Started happening to my 2016 MBP TB. Is there fix for this from Apple or live with it?