Anyone else had 4.2.1 break their WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulianL, Nov 25, 2010.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

I got my iPhone 4 on launch day and WiFi has always worked absolutely perfectly for me, never a single problem. I decided to skip the 4.1 release because I knew that 4.2 was coming and I don't really surf on my phone so I didn't care about the security fix in 4.1. I upgraded to 4.2.1 the day before yesterday and ever since then my WiFi has been really flaky, much like the problems others have posted about here where the connection to my router still seems to be active but it won't connect to anything on the internet (Appstore, Wikipedia, Facebook, Evernote servers, etc).

I never had an Apple device before I bought my iPad in April and then my iPhone in July. My iPad has never had a decent WiFi connection (3.2 almost unusable, 3.2.2 much better but still about 20-30 glitches an hour when the connection stalls, and 4.2.1 now worse than 3.2.2 but not quite as bad as 3.2 was) and now my iPhone WiFi is rubbish too.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Apple just can't do WiFi properly. This is supposed to be a quality company and I love pretty much everything else about my Apple devices but I really wish they'd get their act together on WiFi.

Has anyone else had their WiFi broken when they installed 4.2.1? (I am not jailbroken and I never installed any betas or GMs, I went straight from the original factory 4.0 to the official 4.2.1.)

- Julian

2. Dyspareunia macrumors regular

Have you attempted to reset your network settings? That might help or clean restore and setup the phone as new unit (as in do NOT restore from backup), and test your Wi-Fi connection again.

3. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

4.2.1 actually fixed my WiFi problems. But that's just me.

4. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, that's helpful.

Just to check, by "reset your network settings" I assume that you mean do a "Forget this network" in the Settings app and then rejoin it and re-enter the security password.

- Julian

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not necessarily...more like Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Network Settings.

6. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah. Thanks. I hadn't spotted that one. I just did a forget and rejoin and it is working again at the moment but that's to be expected, WiFi always comes back after a disconnect and reconnect, it's just that it doesn't stay up.

If it goes out again then I'll do the "Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Network Settings" next and my final attempt, which I hope won't be necessary, will be to reset my phone and rebuild from new :( (I'll need to do a bit of searching to find the procedure to reset and rebuild because I've no idea how to do that but hopefully it won't be necessary because it sounds tedious).

- Julian

7. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

+1

Stay connected to the internet after sleeping now.

8. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wifi on mine is absolutely perfect after upgrade.