Anyone else had hd4000 double in memory?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by danny33, Jun 24, 2013.

1. danny33 macrumors newbie

as per title, my graphics memory has jumped up to 1024mb from 512mb.. on standard 2012 mbp 13, 4gb ram

anyone else had this?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No personal experience here, but I have seen other forum members using Mav. post they noticed this also.

3. SeenJeen macrumors regular

Confirmed.

I have an office full of Mac Minis I bought a couple months ago. This machine I've just installed Mavs...
    [​IMG]

ML Mini...
    [​IMG]

Apple seems to be really focusing on beefing up graphics performance.

Though, I heard if you install 8GB or more memory in ML on these machines, the graphics memory goes up, too. (YMMV)

4. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I have also noticed that... Is this a good thing? Or just a bug?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe it is by design. The idea is giving the GPU access to more memory would speed up screen rewrites and graphics speeds in general.

6. silverf1re macrumors regular

does this affect machines with only 4 GB of memory? Seems harsh to take away 1gb of memory and leave the OS with only 3 if you are not doing graphic intensive tasks and if you are why do you only have an integrated GPU?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From the screens in post #3, it would appear so. I wonder if the system can dynamically reduce this if the OS needs the memory.

8. xTRICKYxx macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" with 16GB of RAM. Before on 10.8, my Intel HD 4000 GPU had 384MB of RAM. Although I suspect that number was trivial since HD 4000 automatically allocates far more than that depending on the usage scenario. It was trivial anyways since I have the 1GB 650M.

On 10.9 Mavericks: [​IMG]

I am happy to see this. I am also glad that HD 4000 now gets 1024MB (but I have never monitored its memory usage)

Now all I'd like is to be able to switch to my HD 4000 gpu while in Bootcamp...

Edit: For 4GB users out there; you will not be missing more memory. The integrated GPU will be using far less 99% of the time. 10.9 is now allowing the GPU more memory which the only time it will be needed is in graphically heavy scenarios which will be appreciated by everyone.

9. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I've seen the same thing. My Mac mini (Late 2012) (2.5GHz i5) with 16GB RAM reported 768MB Video RAM under Mountain Lion. Under Mavericks, it reports 1024MB.