Anyone else had this iBooks sync glitch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulianL, Nov 18, 2010.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

I have 42 books in my iTunes library, about 10 purchased from the iBooks store and the other 32 converted from other sources to create my own ePub files. I synced them all onto my iPhone, arranged them all into genre/author order on my bookshelf on the iPhone (which is how I know they were all there initially) and then started reading. All good I thought.

On finishing the most recent book I read, I dropped out of the book and back to the bookshelf and discovered that about half my books were missing. It wasn't a case of all my own ePubs gone, all my iBook purchases gone, or the bottom half of the list gone; it was totally random (e.g. I have the first three Rabbit novels by John Updike all purchased via the IBook store and the first one was gone but the second two still there).

I tried forcing a resync and I still ended up with the same 20 or so books on my device after the resync, the rest wouldn't go over again even though iTunes showed them as selected to sync over. I also closed out iBooks on the iPhone completely (by using the "X" on the quicklaunch bar) before trying another sync, just in case the iBooks client had got itself into a funny state. I still ended up with the same partial set of books on my phone.

Next I unticked the iTunes option to sync the books, clicked OK to the warning that this would delete all books on my device, and hit "Apply" to do the sync. Most of the books did get removed from my device but curiously it left 3 behind (all iBook store purchases). I deleted these books from my device manually from within iBooks, exited iBooks completely, and re-selected to sync my books on iTunes and hit "Apply" again to do the sync.

The above got all my books back but it's still wierd and pretty annoying. When I first noticed it it was because I'd decided on the next book that I really wanted to read, only to go to my bookshelf and find it mysteriously gone. I'd really like to make sure this doesn't happen again. Has anyone else gone through a similar experience and got any clue as to what might have caused it?

I'm running the original launch-day iOS 4 on an iPhone 4 (I decided to skip 4.1 and wait for 4.2 before upgrading). I'm not jailbroken and I run iTunes 10.1 on Windows 7 64-bit.

- Julian

2. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I don't know, but I have noticed that sometimes when I open a book it randomly deletes it instead (it goes to open it and then it just glitches and goes back to the library and the book is gone) and I have to resynch to get it back.

It has only happened with books I bought (vs. the free gutenberg ones) and only when I just recently bought them.

3. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm. That's a possibility because after I load any book I tend to open it, even if it's only to check the contents index looks sane and the book all seems to be there before closing it again. The "New" banner also annoys me on new iBook purchases so I tend to open a new purchased book briefly to get rid of that. It's very possible that my missing books didn't all desert me in a mass exodus but did go away one by one and it was just a while until I noticed. I'll keep an eye on this every time I close a book now. Thanks for the feedback, it's most helpful.

- Julian