Anyone else had to call AT&T to verify information?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by USMCWifey07, Oct 7, 2011.

1. USMCWifey07 macrumors member

Just got an email from AT&T stating that I had to call an 800 number to verify my identity so that they can further process my iPhone 4s preorder.

Did anyone else get this as well? I was a bit confused because I'm hoping this didn't "reset" my order and put me back in the line, as I preordered this morning at 7:30 and already got a confirmation number and everything.

Is this due to the fact that I added a line to my existing family plan? Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm mainly just worried that this affected me getting my phone on time :(

2. Codepiink macrumors regular

I received a similar email but from Verizon. It was due to a credit alert that I have set up on my credit report. They had to ask me security questions and what not. But I was reassured that the confirmation did not make me lose my place and they had a phone set aside for me. I hope that is the same case for AT&T.

3. USMCWifey07 thread starter macrumors member

I hope so too...The lady I spoke to was sort of rude and didn't know what she was doing. After I did the credit verification with the rep from the other department she comes back on the phone and says "so you wanna preorder the iPhone 4s" I'm like WTF. :eek:

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

I got the same thing from AT&T. Had to read the email to two people who had no clue what to do, get transferred four times, one of which wasn't even a transfer but just being sent back to the initial menu to go through the whole hold process again, then when I finally got through all I did was answer questions with the same information that was on the initial order form (SSN, birthday, etc). In other words it was completely asinine because if I were a scammer, I'm pretty sure I could verbally verify the stolen information I put on the order form to begin with--it's not like they asked me "secret questions" that would actually verify my identity since I of course had no such questions on file being a new customer.

Then when it came through, I got US Virgin Islands area codes. I live in Minnesota. Now I'm on hold again.

5. USMCWifey07 thread starter macrumors member

WOW...Doesn't that just piss you off?

Curious to know the outcome...

6. Codepiink macrumors regular

That's so weird. I was asked, by a rep, questions pertaining to my credit report. Such as loans, addresses I've ever lived at, how long I've lived at my current address, etc. And I'm a new Verizon customer. The bs at ATT does not surprise me as I have been dealing with their nonsense for the last year. Good luck.

7. USMCWifey07 thread starter macrumors member

I was asked similar questions by AT&T...Amount of my mortgage, car loan, etc

8. puma1552 macrumors 601

9. N23 macrumors regular

I had to call AT&T to update payment information,
    but it was due to some fraud protection I had set for my Chase cards I was unaware of.

So I ended up just using another card to complete my order.

10. 1zach4 macrumors regular

Same thing happened to my Chase card....had no clue why it was being denied and just used another card instead

11. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I received the same type of email this morning from AT&T. They needed "More Information" to complete my order.

After giving them my name (this time with my middle name) birthday and social, they asked me 5 questions.

The first was streets I lived on. They listed 5 streets none of which I ever heard of... I answered "No" to each of them.

The second was cities I've lived in. They named 5 cities, 3 of which I never heard of, and 2 of which I've never even been to. I again answered "No" to each of them.

At that point I asked if I "failed the test" LOL

The AT&T rep was very nice.

The "verification" person conferenced in with the AT&T rep had a very heavy accent (given the pronunciation of her "D"s, I think maybe she was from India.) That made me worry that I maybe didn't hear her correctly. She kept backing up and repeating portions of her script. It was unsettling giving out so much credit information over the phone to a person like that.

Anyway, after a few more questions, the credit person announced that I was sound, and to process the order, "no deposit required".

I am guessing that there was multiple hits on my name in the credit DB. Or maybe I was flagged because I moved to a new state this year.

I really hope I kept my place "in line."

12. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I got the same email and had to call and answer the 5 questions. After I hung up my credit card was hit with a $985 authorization (I bought two iPhone 4S 64GB and two other phones). If that charge goes through from pending to processed and I don't have my iPhones, I am not going to be happy....

14. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

My card still hasn't been charged lol

No idea what's going on, but I'd assume that the card being charged is the next step and a god indicator that the process is moving along without hiccups ;)