Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt8045

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Might sound stupid but I haven't been able to figure out how to use the fingerprint scanner thing. I set it all up on startup. It just remains with slide to unlock...

Click home button then hold finger over home button. At first I was just holding my finger over home button and nothing was happening lol. Kinda sucks you have to click it first.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I love being on the S-cycle. If there are any real kinks, they are usually worked out by then.

3G > 4S > 5s for me!

Bryan

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Generally there aren't problems like these with the S model because the S model fixes them.

"Antennagate" was a problem with the iPhone 4 that was fixed in the 4S.

"Scuffgate" could very well be fixed in the iPhone 5S.

I don't know which release "batterygate" refers to.

Battery gate was the 4S I believe.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Battery gate?

My phone lost 2% in the time it took me to wake up, unplug it, change my kids diaper, and walk downstairs. 2 year old 4s still held 100% for at least 30 mins while sleeping.

I've disabled a bunch of stuff today but dang, the battery really is draining fast. And I haven't even started playing any games.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Too many times on a new iPhone release people freak out over something and the media runs with it for page clicks (antennagate, batterygate, scuffgate, etc).

Happy to see that the iPhone 5s is so perfect that it doesn't give people any problems or leeway to freak out over :D

Anyone else feel the same way?

You hear a lot about the fingerprint scanner (fingerprint gate). Media claiming that Apple is violating people's privacy laws and even people complaining that fingers will be cut off to break into a phone.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
fingergate is the one you will heard the most based on what I have read so far.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
You hear a lot about the fingerprint scanner (fingerprint gate). Media claiming that Apple is violating people's privacy laws and even people complaining that fingers will be cut off to break into a phone.

It's not the fingerprint scanner that's the real issue. The problem is that it's just an excuse to get you to spend time with your finger touching the metal ring, which allows the device to interface with your peripheral nervous system and access the memories stored in your hippocampus in order to generate better targeted advertising.

But yeah, the build quality of my 5S is impressive. All of the buttons have that nice solid click, there are no scratches, and every part is perfectly seated. Even the screen uniformity is excellent (my 5 was also quite good in that regard).

Last edited:

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I found two very small nicks on my 5s not sure if I should take it back or not? That do you guys think?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Click home button then hold finger over home button. At first I was just holding my finger over home button and nothing was happening lol. Kinda sucks you have to click it first.

Yeah, haha. I finally got it. I assumed that the button wasn't clickable at first. Stupid to assume or stupid of Apple for making it so? IDK. You decide.

I was annoyed when I realized I keep my phone in my left pocket, but I "taught it" my right thumb... :mad: Then I learned it can be taught up to five fingerprints. So that's pretty nice. I hadn;t realized it until now but I am ambidextrous (only when it comes to my phone though). :)

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
By all indications, the Touch ID is a success, despite some nitpicks from those who have used it. However, this may be the calm before the storm if and when the hackers are able to penetrate Apple's fingerprint scanner. There's already a large bounty for anyone who can crack it.

Let it be known that if the Touch ID is cracked and hackers are able to get user's fingerprints, there WILL be an "Antennagate" type uproar. I don't know if it'll happen or not, but with the bounty growing, it's quite possible!

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
By all indications, the Touch ID is a success, despite some nitpicks from those who have used it. However, this may be the calm before the storm if and when the NSA are able to penetrate Apple's fingerprint scanner.

Fixed that for you ;)

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Fixed that for you ;)

Well, I already work for the government and was fingerprinted years ago, so there's no going back in that respect. However, I would definitely be more concerned if someone was able to get my fingerprints from a stolen iPhone, for example.

That is not to say I trust our government or the NSA... because I don't. But personally, I would be more worried about identity theft and impersonation than what the NSA sees me doing. In the long term, however, I am most definitely worried about a surveillance state and potentially, a totalitarian government.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.