anyone else hate the ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shoulin333, Oct 31, 2007.

1. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

I bought an 23" ACD to hook to my SR MBP

... in the store it looked great (i guess because there were no other brands arround it)

when i got home i noticed the anti glare coating is very uneven

when playing games it seems as if im playing with a screen door in between me and the screen.

this was manufactured on Sept 9th

is this the case with all of ACD's? if so i can return and get a 24" Samsung for hundreds less even if i pay the restocking fee

just want to know if it is only me.. because i know MBP has the antiglare coating as well (i have matt) but it is very even and doesnt look nearly as bad as the ACD

2. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Sounds like you got a crappy monitor. Mine has none of those problems.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Definitely something wrong with it. I've found all ACDs I've worked with (of which there are quite a few) to be very very high quality.

Take it back.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

I have two 30" ACDs. They're both beautiful. Very even, excellent brightness. They work VERY well for online gaming FPS's.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Sounds like you got a sub-standard one. I've worked with a wide range of screens from most of the major manufacturers, and the ACDs are consistently the best.

6. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the reply, i guess i will go swap it and give a new one a try

hopfully it is just the one

7. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Sounds like it's a problem - mine is gorgeous. Worth every pound.

8. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

ACD is Great

My ACD's are spectacular.

The Samsung for "hundreds less" will use either a TN or MVA/PVA panel and not the S-IPS panel used by the ACD.

S-IPS panel is superior for color accuracy at all viewing angles.

Sounds like you should persue warranty repair.

I would never trade my ACD for a Samsung, Acer, HP, Dell, etc.

I might for a Top End Eizo or NEC -- or maybe a very top end Samsung but all these cost MORE than an ACD.

9. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it is new so i can just do a swap since it is within the 14 days... i want to go in there and look at the demo's again and make sure what im seeing isnt on those before i lug it back to the store

10. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

the specs are not the best considering gaming.there exist much bether screens for gaming..response time 14 ms..lol..

11. shoulin333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

14ms is black to black

most companies advertise gray to gray arround 5ms

which is about 16ms black to black

so the response time is not an issue at all

just the clarity... i use to have a samsung 20inch and it was much clearer than this, but i dont notice any difference in response (there is no ghosting) ... just makes games look worse than they really are graphics wise

12. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

that depends but 14 ms is not the best option out there just so you know.so 14 ms is a issue.just ask a plasma owner vs lcd owner a plasma haves like 0.45 ms vs lcd' best 8 ms on big screens and still people say if they have to choose a lcd tv it need's to get down to 2-4 ms.(regarding pioneer kuro full hd(plasma) is the best tv out there)
    But thats a tv..and you cant get away the fact that lcd has higher resolutions..therefor bether for computer(even though you can't use the full 2560x1600 solutions(30 inches)..lol....but hey i have 2 ms screen..and yes there are other specs that count..high quality panel(longlasting,bether colours),brightnes etc.. but with bether respons time the lesser drag you get on the game/film..if i was to buy a new lcd screen today i will not have bought the apple..i rather bought the samsung/viewsonic maybe hp whos gotten great revues and much bether specs then the current acd..
    And thats a fact..
    And its about time they update their acd..ore tweek em..

13. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

The Samsung's, Viewsonics and HP's that cost less than or equal to Apple's 23" ACD do not have better Panels and Controller Cards when you are concerned about 1) Color accuracy, 2) Banding, 3) Color Consistency at Viewing Angle, and 4) SWOP certification -- and this is a Fact. I just spent an additional 6 hours reading display reviews, researching the "guts," and discussing these monitors in Photography forums.

Yes, if you are concerned about brightness, response time, ghosting, features, size, then yes some of the monitors you mentioned are better suited to your needs.

The Apple uses a superior, and costly, S-IPS panel, the ones you mentioned use PVA/MVA. Fact.

14. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

Yes.it's the eye of the beholder.You have to test it for yourself to make up your own mind and how you use it/needs. anyways you clearly dont use a apple cinema display for
    tv .and you cant use it for consoll/hdmi outputs.Regarding 30 inch..
    regarding S-IPS.Lg,phillips,Sony,eizo,lachie also has S-IPS panels.it's not special that apple have them.And by the way the contrast ratio in S-IPS panels are not the best.Also saying it has the best color are rong,many screens have bether colours. S-IPS panels are expensiv you got that right.
    the imac have H-IPS.thats bether then s-ips

note from text:

" looked at the 305T in a side-by-side comparison with the Apple Cinema HD 30-inch and the Dell UltraSharp Widescreen 3007WFP, and the 305T was a clear winner in terms of overall image quality and motion performance. Granted, the Apple display is more than two years old and the Dell monitor has been on the market for almost a year, but for now, these two models, along with the 305T and HP's new LP3065 (look for our upcoming review), are pretty much all there is when it comes to 30-inch desktop displays. The 305T's speedy 6-millisecond (gray-to-gray) pixel-response rate delivered an impressively smooth video performance. Motion artifacts were virtually nonexistent during a round of Doom 3, and DVD movies looked awesome on the big, 16:10 aspect ratio widescreen. Text display quality was very good. The panel also did an outstanding job of displaying light and dark shades of gray on the DisplayMate (www.displaymate.com) tests—even at the extreme ends of the spectrum—and color quality was equally impressive, with no noticeable tinting. Colors scaled evenly from dark to light, and there was no trace of backlight bleeding or stuck pixels. Imaging professionals will love this monitor's ability to show fine detail in photos, and an excellent 178-degree viewing angle means you can watch movies with a few friends without sacrificing image quality. "

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2071730,00.asp

15. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why care. TV is at best 60 frames per second. The video source, be it
    blue ray or satellite only sends 60 frames per second. that means the frames change every 16.67 milliseconds. I figure those people who don't think 14ms is fast enough have not done the math and are fooled by the advertising. 14ms black to black is 2.67MS faster then you need to see any progressive scan TV.

Now if you run games at 120FPS that's different but TV is 60FPS at best

16. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Again, Image professionals, artists, photographers do not Want the contrast ratio you describe: this is why very high end CRT's are still made for these markets. The brightness and contrast ratios that are preferable for video, gaming, tv, etc are not perferable for image manipulation and color correction for PRINT work.

I am not wrong on this point: to compare an H-IPS panel to an S-IPS panel and state that the H-IPS panel is globally better is factually wrong.

And yes, I did state that Eizo, NEC, etc use S-IPS panels in my last post -- I also stated that they are more expensive which is true.

For Print Related Color work, Apple's monitors are not "out-of-date," rather they are state of the art, solid and consistent.

17. MvdM macrumors regular

Do you mean it's like dust lying on the screen?
    I haven't seen an ACD WITHOUT that annoying effect.

18. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

That "Annoying Effect" is there to simulate SWOP standards to insure that brightness does not alter black points and white points. This is critical for photo and print design work that will be out in CMYK to SWOP standards.

19. MvdM macrumors regular

Can you explain that to me or link to an article about it?

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

shoulin333, Do you have a light near or pointing at your screen? Seems like a lighting issue, not a display issue.

21. franz1999 macrumors member

Whatever that means that "annoying effect" is making my eyes tears after 3-4 hours of work on it... totally unacceptable from an $800 product. It's so pronounced that it feels as if it was 3D in totally white areas.

22. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

23. franz1999 macrumors member

So in your opinion is better to open an entirely new thread with the exact same issue? In most of the photography forums I use this is usually considered unpolite and it's better to resurrect old threads... is this not true here?

This place is weird, man... yesterday I got bashed for having cited Wikipedia on a different thread, today for resurrecting an old thread with a recent actual issue.

24. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Don't get me wrong, your kind consideration is much appreciated. However in a board where every imaginable topics had been posted tons and tons over because most users are either too lazy to search for similar threads or just plain dumb, resurrecting a thread therefore seem a little smart, and out of place. Just take a look at the number of "Should I return my macXXXX and wait for an update?", "When will the next XXXXX update be?" threads floating around, and you would know many over here enjoy fortune-telling, and monotonous topic repetition.

It's a culture here. You are just a breath of fresh air that's all. ;)

25. franz1999 macrumors member

LOL...

Anyways after reading this thread and a couple of other threads on different forums regarding this issue, I am thinking of returning my ACD tomorrow and see if I can get my hands on a Samsung 245T. Looks kinda ugly as a monitor, but at least it's not supposed to have this issue -- at least for my eyes this IS an issue...
    Too bad, I really liked the sleek look of the ACD... I can't believe they would take a perfectly good monitor with a great s-IPS panel and layer it with this annoying film coating... at Apple they must smoke a lot of crack ;-)