Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have uneven lighting, as the screen goes to the right, its slighter darker than in the middle. i wonder if this would warrant a LED backlight/LCD panel replacement. I like 9C67 though because there's no yellow issue on it as many people report with the 9C68 Samsung model. How do you like the screen?

i think just about every mbp i've seen has exhibited slightly non-uniform screens with slight backlight bleed.

btw i have SR 2.2 that I got in october.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I have uneven lighting, as the screen goes to the right, its slighter darker than in the middle. i wonder if this would warrant a LED backlight/LCD panel replacement. I like 9C67 though because there's no yellow issue on it as many people report with the 9C68 Samsung model. How do you like the screen?

My old Macbook pro had that screen and I thought it was really good, with relatively even backlight and no yellowing (actually, the first one I had did exhibit minor yellowing, but was replaced with one that didn't). I would really consider carefully if you want to start a potentially long process of LCD replacements that may or may not land you with a better display. If yours is anything like mine, you would be better off sticking to it than risking not getting one that is better or even equal to the one you have.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Gotcha. That's a good point -- I don't want to get a crap screen. Do you have a SR mbp or did you move onto Penryn?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Actually, since I posted a little while ago, I received my new penryn MBP! I'm happy to say that it doesn't have any yellowing at all. Slight light bleed on top and below, but not bad at all. A very good display, similar to the 9c67 I had before. Happy : )

My advice is still the same though, at least until Apple addresses the issue properly. I know what you're saying about slight uneven lighting, and I know how irritating it can be, but yellowing is much worse!

Let us know what you decide and good luck whatever you do.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah i think im just going to stick with what i have. is the backlight unevenness/backlight bleed an LCD issue or can they just replace the backlight?

i dunno what to do. im fairly happy with my screen overall...

what lcd panel is in ur penryn mbp?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
It's the 9c81 - the LG display. Unfortunately, if you wanted to fix your display, you'd have to replace the whole top or the LCD. And you can't request a specific panel....

If you're fairly happy with your display please don't gamble! There is a good chance you'd regret it. There will always be slight illumination unevenness and bleed in the current technology. Unless you're seeing a very pronounced different in lighting and it affects you on a daily basis, I'd stick with it. If you go to notebookcheck.com and check pretty much any laptop review there, you'll see that they all are uneven in their backlighting. The site measures the brightness in different areas so it becomes very clear that there are no LCDs now, at least not in laptops, that are 100% even in their backlighting.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
are LG panels, besides being less likely to have yellowing, any worse quality than the Samsung?

Because of the two names, Samsung definitely sounds better. But people seem to be crossing their fingers for LG panels when they get their MBP so I dont understand.

I dont think I'm going to gamble. I dont want a crap panel (knowing my luck, I'll get one that's piss yellow) :D

I just have OCD with my toys.

My roommate has the 9C68 display, and i dunno if it has yellowing or not (havent tested it) but I like my screen more (even though his seems slightly brighter -- but being that bright gives me a headache)

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I had a 17" and a SR 15" with LG displays and they were both excellent. If you get a samsung without any yellowing, I'm sure it would be equally excellent. It seems that the question is not so much brand, but more about the specific panel. Some are good and some are not. The only panel I feel is consistently worse is the Chi Mei - but that opinion is based on very limited exposure to them.

I'm extremely particular with my displays and I would say that my 9c67 and the current one I'm sitting in front of are excellent. If I had to be picky, I'd ask for no light bleed, full 8 bit and better viewing angles, but notebook LCDs today are just not as good as desktop LCDs and I just have to accept that. In a few years maybe....

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
I just have OCD with my toys.

I do, too, but PDE is right. I've never, ever seen a laptop display that was honest-to-God 100% perfectly backlit.

One thing that can help with your perception of backlight quality is to properly calibrate the display and be sure to use a 2.2 gamma. The default 1.8 gamma that Macs ship with makes no sense because most modern displays have a native gamma of ~2.2. Takes a little while to get used to the display using a 2.2, especially if you're accustomed to un-calibrated Macs, but it makes everything look sharper. And it makes the backlighting look more even, as long as it wasn't egregious to begin with.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Mine is slightly darker on the right edge of the display, but it isn't a big difference and I barely notice it.. it is so much better than my last display that I'm willing to overlook it. (this one is LG, the previous one was Chimei )

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Does your mbp screen have uneven lighting running down the screen (not just the edges)? Because mine does a little bit when I'm watching films with dark scenes it's only really noticeable.

seems like i have some backlight bleed down the middle a tad. i guess its about as good as its gonna get anyways.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Watching films brings out the backlight unevenness with any display. Some are better and some worse, but that seems to be related to the specific display rather than the brand. I noticed with my new MBP last night that it does quite a bit of bleed when watching dvds - not great, but for most purposes it's not going to bother me. Either way I wouldn't want to try to get the elusive 'perfect' display given all the other potential problems....

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I think I'm going to stick with this display. No major problems with it at all :D

Dice-K

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2007
Calgary
How can you tell what brand of screen you have on the MBP and model number? I went into About this Mac and couldn't find this info. Please let me know. I just got a refurbed 15" MBP with LED screen and it exhibits some light bleed at the top which is kinda annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.