Anyone else have a grip problem with the Retina Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idvnno, May 19, 2014.

1. idvnno macrumors newbie

I love my late 2013 13" rMBP, but one thing I cannot stand is the horrible grips on the bottom of it. I don't know what apple did differently with the retinas, but on flat smooth surfaces like my desk, its slides around like crazy. Trying to open it is impossible because the force will make it slide straight right the desk and it often slides around while typing. I'm assuming a lot of other people have the same issue. Any possible way to help it grip down?

2. sonicrobby, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Frictional force = Friction factor x Normal force
    Normal force = Mass x Gravity = Weight

Assumption: Friction factor from grips and your opening force remain constant
    Main difference between MBP and rMBP: weight.

Weight of MBP > rMBP.
    Therefore a higher friction force and stronger grip with a MBP compared to rMBP
    With a reduction of weight, the force you are using to open the rMBP now exceeds the resulting friction force produced by the macbook.

Recommendation:
    1. Use two hands to open it
    2. Place a pad under rMBP to increase friction (ex. large mouse pad)
    3. Place heavy objects behind/on the side of macbook so it doesnt move

3. idvnno thread starter macrumors newbie

Found an easy fix to the problem, I just put small squares of black electrical tape on the rubber feet and the problem is almost 100% gone, only slides if I put extra force on it now

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The pads feel the same as on my 2011 machine, so maybe sonicrobby's explanation is correct.

At least it is not as bad as my Nexus 4, which will slide off any every so slightly inclined surface, it has almost zero friction.

5. idvnno thread starter macrumors newbie

Cause it has glass on the back and front with no grip on the bezels, they sell bumper cases that add extra grip for it, I have one on mine.