Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Ok, I've been searching for a WEEK now for descent looking mens dress shoes that are simply black with a little bit of shine. You think that wouldn't be hard but its impossible.

The styles are either ancient (the tassled penny loafers), just plain ugly (the kind with the super pointy toes that look like leprechaun shoes) or have that "wild west" look to them with the weird pattern of leather.

I did manage to find ONE pair that were perfect, except they were cheap and gave me blisters in literally 30 seconds of walking in them. Needless to say they sadly had to go back :(

Anyone else have this much trouble? I've been to 9 different shoe stores (thats all we have here). You'd think a plain black dress shoe would be easy to find.

Also I don't know if its just me but mens dress shoes seem engineered for discomfort. I've never had a comfortable pair in my life.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Yes but its hard to shoe shop online since dress shoe sizes vary greatly. Also I need them in a pinch :/

I finally ended up finding a pair of plain black dress shoes at Kohls. I'm so pumped!

The brand is....Nunn Bush *snicker* and they get the job done.

Maybe regular dress shoes are just hard to find in my area. All my friends and co-workers complain about the same thing.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I have like $150 gift card to banana republic, which includes piper lime and like all there other online stores. Well i can find no dress shoes in a wide foot, even though i can go up a size and there is a 50/50 chance it will fit id rather not. Why is there no wide foot size shoes!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Just to add Steve Maddens are reasonable and I've had a pair last almost 6 years (still going) and extremely comfortable.

Hmm never heard of those. I'll have to give them a look.

I have like $150 gift card to banana republic, which includes piper lime and like all there other online stores. Well i can find no dress shoes in a wide foot, even though i can go up a size and there is a 50/50 chance it will fit id rather not. Why is there no wide foot size shoes!

We dont have any of those stores where I live :/ I also know what you mean about no wide foot! Sometimes I need them, sometimes I don't and when I need them they're unavailable.

I usually get my dress shoes at Rockport.

We don't have those stores here either :( I never even heard of Rockport but I'll give them a look as well.

I find the selection at Nordstrom to be good.

We don't have any of those here either but I'm willing to travel!

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I can't buy shoes unless I try them on. I wear orthotics which raise my heal so a lot of shoes are not deep enough in the back to keep my heel from slipping. Dress shoes are the worst for me. I have a pair of brown leather shoes which are falling apart, but I can't be bothered to go try on 20-30 pairs at 7 different stores to find something that fits. I am so lucky that Timberland still makes the work boots I have worn for the last 6 years. I'm on my fourth pair!

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
I have a pair of Cole Haun dress shoes that are comfortable. Also two pairs of Kenneth Cole shoes. The latter have more squared toes and hence are more comfortable. Both brands offer great support and provide a feeling of being well balanced when standing. If you are getting blisters, your shoes may be too big. Though, any shoe will take a while to get used to and form to fit your feet before they are really comfortable.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    157.2 KB · Views: 60

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Allen Edmonds, try the fifth avenue or park avenue depending on preference.

/thread

Agreed. Those are classic or clean and simple styles. Allen Edmonds are pricey upfront, but when you consider how long they last - 10 years or longer with simple care - they are a pretty good value. The key is to keep some wax/polish on them, use shoe trees (also keeps them smelling fresh), and never wear them 2 days in a row if you can help it. I just alternate my black and brown shoes each day.

Not to mention, even if you could get 3 pairs of $100 shoes to last as long as 1 pair of $300 shoes, they still wouldn't be near as comfortable as the $300 pair or look as good/well made. Shoes are one of those things where you get what you pay for. My .02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.