Anyone else have an issue with iPad freezing when playing video?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Silverfist, May 11, 2010.

1. Silverfist macrumors member

Silverfist

Haven't been playing tons of video so I don't know if it's had this issue since I first got my iPad or if something I might have done has started to cause the issue, but in the past week it's seized up three different times when playing video... Once was online (vimeo) but the other two times I was playing the Apple keynote where the iPad was introduced, downloaded through iTunes, on the native video player.

3G model, 64GB space; I've got about 40GB of video loaded on. Not jailbroken.

I've watched more than a few videos on YouTube via the YouTube app, and haven't had any issues with freezing up; don't know if this indicates it's an issue with the video player app or if I've just been luckier when using YouTube.

Picture freezes up, iPad becomes unresponsive. Can't force quit or power down; I have to force a restart.

Has this happened to anyone else at all?

2. hellsat macrumors newbie

This happens to my iPad 3G 64GB too. Others also have this problem, both with the WiFi only version and the 3G version. Might be a hardware problem.

I´m gonna phone Apple Support, but my problem is that I´m in Norway making it a little more difficult to exchange the iPad if it´s a hardware problem.

Apple Discussions: iPad freezing when playing video

3. Silverfist thread starter macrumors member

Silverfist

Ah -- missed that topic. Thanks for the reply.

4. claygill macrumors newbie

Same problem. Mine freezes after no more than 5 minutes of video or so. YouTube, AirVideo, no matter what the result is the same.
    Called Apple and I have an appointment to return it today for replacement.

5. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Man, that's a BIG problem. Why are the newer ones NOT doing this? Did Apple change something? ...or are that many just defective?

6. janethiggins macrumors newbie

iPad crashes on all video!!

This is a HUGE problem with me! I can't even get through a minute until it freezes and I have to do a hard re-start. This happens when I try to watch YouTube, and video off of a website, and videos I have dowloaded, ABC Player...anything. I am going back to Apple Store tomorrow!!!!:(:mad:

7. Battlestar macrumors 6502

8. epi117 macrumors 6502

Took my wifes in for same issue, got it exchanged!

9. camarobh macrumors 6502

Not here

I bought both versions on their respective launch days. I have watched hours and hours of video, mostly synced from iTunes, but some online. Both iPads have never frozen even once.

10. BigCanoe macrumors 6502

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sometimes web videos.

Not with MP4 though, even 720p content.

12. mamaboj macrumors newbie

Help

Mine is frozen and I have no idea how to restart it (It's not responding to anything...)

13. steel magnolia macrumors regular

Have you tried holding down the sleep button and home button until resets?

Patty