Anyone else have any problems with the Remote app?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jfan4life, Dec 29, 2008.

1. jfan4life macrumors newbie

I can't get my iPod touch to connect with iTunes. Every time I enter the passcode, it never gets past the verifying part, then eventually the numbers clear and I have to type it in again; it's the same thing over and over. I've tried making sure the firewall is not blocking and I don't even have firewall on. My computer and iPod use the same wireless router connection. All the remote settings for iTunes are correct so I don't know what's the problem. Can anyone give me some advice?

2. jfan4life thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to add, after I enter the passcode, a message pops up saying that the passcode is incorrect, when it is truly the correct passcode. Anyone??? Help please?

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

4. jfan4life thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried that as well, but it doesn't work either.

5. djpraize macrumors member

Are you using the passcode that the remote app gives you, or the passcode you set up for your ipod touch?

I don't quite remember the steps, but when you first open the remote app, it gives you a passcode. This is the code you use in itunes to pair it with the touch.

Not sure if this is your issue or not. Sorry if it is not.

6. jfan4life thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I used the passcode that the app gives me when I open it.

7. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

not sure if this has anything to do with it but makes sure you have itunes sharing on in your firewall settings and I think you need to enable it in itunes as well

8. jfan4life thread starter macrumors newbie

I have iTunes listed as an exception in my firewall settings. The sharing settings in iTunes are enabled as well. I don't know what's wrong. It sucks because I really want to use this app; it seems really cool.

9. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

yeah its pretty nice to have. I have the remote that came with my apple but this app allows me to do so much more than change the song and volume etc since I can see exactly what I'm trying to find on the ipod without being in direct sight of the computer screen. I'm gonna reset up the application and see check out how i set it up so that I can hopefully get some info to you on how to get it working...:cool:

10. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I just went back and redid the whole app, I couldn't get it to do what yours is doing. I would suggest trying re download the app another time, even though you have already done it. Are you putting the pass code is the remote pairing screen found on the left hand side in itunes? Maybe a dumb question but I could see someone getting mixed up and trying to put it in a bluetooth pairing screen or something.

11. jfan4life thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I click on my iPod on the left side of the itunes player. It has the little Remote app logo right beside it and then the 4 boxes pop up and I enter the numbers that shows on the app on my iPod, but it never works.

12. jfan4life thread starter macrumors newbie

13. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

oh man i had the same problem but i cant remember how i fixed it. I had to fight with it a little. took me 6 trys. i hit settings add library then selected myipod in itunes and wrote the number in and waited a bit. i keep thinking i set it up that way doing something else though arrgh. i cant replicate or test because it saved everything...going to go eat dinner then i will try messing with it again

14. crmccashin macrumors regular

crmccashin

After trying 5-6 times, reading all the info and tips, I was never able to get it to work either....so I hung it up out of frustration and moved on! :)

15. Robertpianosax macrumors newbie

It worked right a way for me, i just typed in the code and bang.

16. NachoB macrumors newbie

If you haven't already done so, try enabling port forwarding on your router. Forward TCP port 3689 and UDT port 5353 to the IP assigned to your Touch.

17. crmccashin macrumors regular

crmccashin

Son of a ***ch...I just reinstalled it it it worked instantly! I don't know what changed from all my earlier attempts. The only thing I did this time was to click on the "Forget all remotes" button under the "Preferences-Advance settings-Devices" and it worked the first attempt. :confused:

18. jfan4life thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I do that?

19. NachoB macrumors newbie

Depends on what brand router you have, but you have to login to your router and there should be a tab or menu for configuring port forwarding. The address to log into your router will be the same as the gateway your devices are assigned. Use a web browser to connect to your router. You'll probably have to supply a username and password which should be in the owners manual if you haven't changed it from the default. It shouldn't be hard to find where to configure ports once you get logged in.