Anyone else have audio out issues with iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Jul 8, 2010.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I absolutely LOVE my iPhone 4, with one exception. I noticed that I have to crank up the volume, as compared with my old (my wife's new) iPhone 3G, when using the Apple-supplied headphones to listen to my iPod content. This is true for both audio and video files. It is also true when using my Belkin TuneBase FM car adapter with my iPhone 4. Additionally, my wife has a hard time hearing me when I use the Bluetooth Handsfree system in my RX 350 with my iPhone 4. This was not true with my iPhone 3G. It seems that audio out, be it via the 30-pin connector on the bottom, the headset jack, or Bluetooth, is not as great as that of previous iPhones. I can't speak to the iPhone 3GS, as I never had one of them. Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, how was it resolved (if a resolution exists)?

Also, when typing a response to, say, a MacRumors thread, once I tap in the text field to enter my reply, the cursor becomes HUGE, and it's really difficult to type in a cogent response. It keeps scrolling from side to side, which is annoying, but not as annoying as being unable to make the text field any smaller while editing its contents. Has anyone experienced this issue, and it so, how was it resolved (if a resolution exists)?

Many thanks in advance for any and all responses.

2. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

No solution here, but I notice the same thing. The Apple head phones are rather useless for music, IMO. I have to nearly max the volume out to get full sound, although my wife loves them for audio books and calls while working in the lab. When out walking the dog I use a higher end pair of in ear speakers, which makes for better sound. But still not as loud as my 3G used to be. I'm not complaining. Like a slow driver in front of me it is probably saving me from myself ;)

3. Set845 macrumors regular

If you use any iPod equalizer setting you will notice a substantial drop in volume compared to the earlier iPhones. This is true for all iOS 4 devices, not just the iPhone 4. Apple tweaked all the eq settings for iOS 4 to be subtractive rather than additive.

4. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I hooked my iPhone up to my car stereo via the auxiliary jack today for the first time. I noticed that when I skipped tracks in the iPod app, the volume of the next song was extremely low. If I pressed the play/pause icon, the volume went back to normal, and it also went back to normal if I removed the jack from the headphone port and plugged it right back in. This is on top of the volume dropping in and out during normal use of the phone that I previously corrected by toggling the silent switch on the side. Apple's got quite a few things to iron out with 4.0.1.

5. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's not just myself then. I'll have to check the equalizer settings, something I had not considered to this point.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Crank up the volume to 200% in iTUnes settings.

7. speeed14 macrumors newbie

HawaiiMacAddict: Other than your volume problem, does your Belkin Tunebase FM works properly with your iPhone4? I mean, can it play music over FM, charge the iPhone and solidly hold it in place?

I just got a Belkin Tunebase FM (gift) that works great with my 3G, but since I know I'll be upgrading to the iPhone4 in the upcoming weeks, I was wondering if I can keep the Tunebase or return it?

Thanks for your help!

8. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

You must have an upgraded version over mine (I bought it back in 2007). I was unable to charge my iPhone 3G (now my wife's iPhone 3G :D), iPhone 4, or my wife's iPod Nano, although the last two did have audio out. My wife subsequently bought me an iLov FM transmitter, and it rocks! Not only can I charge my iPhone 4, but I also have audio out. Depending on the layout of your car, you may want to consider that one.

9. dels macrumors member

HMA,

Did you get your audio issues worked out?

I noticed that if I chose the EQ off on the phone, I didn't need to turn the volume up as much as I did with it on.

10. n7plus1 Guest

i have my EQ turned off and its sooo quiet....?

11. HawaiiMacAddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aloha dels,

I forgot to mention that with the new iLuv FM transmitter, I don't have to set the audio up as high as before, with my iPhone 4, so yes I was able to work out my audio issues completely.