Anyone else have issues with Instant Hotspot?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mnsportsgeek, Oct 8, 2014.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I am trying to hotspot my work iPhone (unlimited data) to my personal iPhone whenever I want to stream video. The work iPhone shows under "personal hotspots" in the wifi menu. However, whenever I click on it, it won't connect and I eventually get an error message.

Just add this to the long list of iOS 8 bugs I've experienced, I guess. Hopefully 8.1 fixes it.

2. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Are both phones signed into same iCloud account? Seem to recall that is a requirement.

3. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

Yup. Everything works fine until I actually select the phone. I can see the hotspot, but can't connect to it.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Unlimited plans on most providers have hotspot disabled. Are you sure yours doesn't as well?

5. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

The hotspot works fine if I turn it on and just connect to it.

But the "instant hotspot" feature where it's supposed to automatically turn on the hotspot is what is not functioning.

The only reason that I pointed out the unlimited data was to answer any questions of why I would want to tether one iphone to another, but the hotspot feature is on and works. Just the iOS 8 instant feature that is garbage.

6. ketchup4life06 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. Tried to connect hotspot to my laptop and it can't connect. Works fine on my nexus using the same sim... must be a bug?

7. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I haven't had any issues using the instant hotspot between my iPhone and MBP or Wifi iPad. I wonder if it only affects devices with it's own cell radio.

8. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

Bluetooth is just a hot mess in iOS 8. Anything bluetooth is buggy as hell is what I'm experiencing.

9. mal5z macrumors newbie

I've had the exact same problem. I was never able to resolve it. Since the instant hotspot works by using a Bluetooth connection to have the iPad notify the iPhone that it's time to turn on personal hotspot, I assume this is part of the Bluetooth disaster that is 8.0.2.

10. scampypants macrumors newbie

I am having a similar problem.

As far as I understand the connection is supposed to be automatic but I am not even detecting my phone or my iPad on either my macbook or my iMac.

I am on iOS 8.1 b2 on both iPad and iPhone and yosemite gm 2 on both computers they don't even see the instant hotspot connection to connect to.

All devices are signed into the same account and bluetooth turned on.

Im just wondering if i am doing something wrong, is there a setup tutorial but as far as understand it should be automatic.

To add sms relay works fine across all devices but the calls do not

kind regards

scampy

11. heelsbigc macrumors member

This has been the most frustrating thing about ios8. I can only get my hotspot to connect my 6+ to my retina mini maybe 50% of the time. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to when it works or doesn't, it's just random.

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

Worked great in the betas but nothing but hurt with 8.0.2.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I'm having same issue as well, see's the hotspot but cannot turn it on or connect

14. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

For me between my iPad and iPhone it is hit and miss. Sometimes after a reboot I'll have to enable the manual hotspot and then turn it off then use the WiFi list on my iPad to enable the personal Hotspot feature

15. marf1million macrumors regular

I think since ios 8.02 it doesn't work for me at all, my phone doesn't even appear in the wifi settings menu like it did on 8.0.

Continuity doesn't work since .02 either.

16. dwest73 macrumors newbie

For me the phone shows up when unlocked, but never automatically connects to the hotspot. It's been the same all along 8.0-8.0.2 and with both iPhone 5S and iPhone 6. If that is how it's supposed to work I see no actual difference from the hotspot functionality in iOS7. Handoff seems to work fine though.