Anyone else have no protector or case with their iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. RPG, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

2. raggdoll macrumors regular

I got my black 5 launch week and just sold it on kijiji a few weeks ago. There were tons of little scuffs and the back really looked crappy. I didn't use any case or protector.

As a result, I had a harder time selling it.

My upgraded 5 is white, with ghost armour installed on it day one!!!

3. motty2307 macrumors regular

The only thing I have on mine is a screen protector, and only because it was free. There are some minor dings around the bezel but nothing that is noticeable.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Caseless since launch day and the only worn part is the edge at the top. Everything else in mint condition. Yes, some people had black iPhones with defective anodizing coatings that turned to s*&t in just two weeks but I believe they've since corrected that manufacturing defect.

In any case, worn edge is pretty much normal with anodizing coating (from what I've seen with watches, etc.) and can be temporarily touched up prior to selling.

What I'm impressed with, though, is how scratch free the exposed apple logo on the back is to this day, unlike the first three generation iPhones where the apple logo got scratched to hell. The iPhone 4/4S apple logo was immune as it sat behind the glass.

5. TonsOfFun420 macrumors member

Black iPhone 5 no case or screen protector ever, 6 months old. The durability is great and I think all the people that complain about it scratching easily are either crazy or full of it.

I don't baby it; fell out of my pocket into sand, fell between my car seats, I set it down on most surfaces etc. barely any noticeable scratches on the edge but you have to look really close to see them in the sunlight. The screen and back have no marks.

6. MountainJew macrumors member

MountainJew

I, too, like going commando with my iPhone 5.

7. noobzaja macrumors newbie

8. abz1981 macrumors 65816

I have 6 small scuff marks on my iphone 5 bezel. One noticble ding on bottom right corner part of my iphone 5. I first had a screen protector and case. However decided to take it off. I like mines naked. Once you have your first ding or scruff mark. I don't bother how many more I get. Am happy how mines is.

9. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

After about 6+ months of use, mine looks pretty rough. But I don't care anymore.

10. iAndyPham macrumors newbie

My 5 black was naked and I had 1 hairline screen scratch, and numerous petty scuff marks on the aluminium bezel. That's after 2 months of usage. I sold it and bought a new white. Naked again, and on the first day I already made a little dent on the lower corner of aluminium bezel. I pulled the phone out of the pocket and it made a weak contact with the dining table, but it was enough to leave a dent lol. But what should I expect, when aluminium is a soft metal.

I'm gonna sell it again once the 5S comes for $30-50 less than if it were pristine, so who cares.

11. hafr macrumors 68030

Had mine without a case for a few months, it looked almost like new (one miniscule scratch next to the mute switch). Then I got a bumper and when I removed it after about a month it had countless scratches around the edges. I'm guessing dust and such have been coming in and scratched it up.

Not that I care though, I'm not gonna sell it and my original iPhone I even kept in the same pocket as my keys from day one. The only reason I even have a bumper is because I dropped in on the floor once and got really scared that the screen would break if I dropped it again.

12. sim0n macrumors member

I've had no case on my black iphone since a couple of weeks after launch day, it has lots of chips and scratches as I constantly drop it but it doesn't bother me one bit. It is meant to be used you know.. don't put an ugly case on such a beautiful device

13. jayotherocks macrumors member

Just recently went commando with my black iphone. There are some scuffs on the edges around particularly on the top but can only be notice when you really look at it closely. Same with someone above who put bumper case and yet it only scratched the edges instead of protecting it. Considering to exchange it with the white one from my father. All in all. Great device. Much better naked. You just have to accept that it'll be wormed out over time. :)

14. syd430 Guest

I never use protection. It just feels better that way.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Like all my previous phones, I haven't used a case or screen protector on the 5. Still looks great.

16. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

Naked and on my 4 th iPhone 5. Anytime it gets scratched or dinged I take it back to apple tell them There's an issue with it and have it replaced

17. RJCP macrumors 6502

I got one of those TheSnugg cases and I don't recommend it. While it is useful to keep maybe your public transportation card close at hand, the strap which you have to use to pull the phone out will start wearing out the bezel where it contacts with it. Also, it will mark your phone with vertical stripes.

The other big downside is that one of the sides of the phone is completely exposed. I was unlucky to drop my phone once, it hit hard concrete on one side and got a massive dent. The entire polished surface on one corner went it.
    That phone eventually developed a fault with antenna and now I have an ultra slim snap on plastic case. Looks very elegant, protects enough and doesn't add bulk. I've also put a screen and back protector so that the dust doesn't scratch it.

I'm all about having the maximum possible sell value in the future.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

For any device there are those that use cases and those that do not. How well the device holds up will vary by person.

19. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I've had my 4 since launch day, and it has been in a $1 rubber case that I got off of EBay since week two or three. There are maybe 2-3 barely visible scuffs on it, but other than that it's in great condition.

20. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

No case or screen protector.

Bezel is dented from the one time it fell out of my pocket, out of the car, and onto the ground. iPhone logo also has tiny barely noticeable scratches. Its the whit one, so the back has one or two scuff marks on it (I can't look because I'll get OCD and have to replace it. :) ).

Screen has two tiny barely noticeable scratches (and no, its not in the same pocket with keys or coins).

Stays in jeans front pocket.

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I dont. Yeah, I got some scuffs and stuff, but I put a home button cover on mine (from Mime or Spigen) to give it a little different look. No case/ screen protector or skins though)

22. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I have a dbrand skin on mine but no screen protector. I carry it in my pocket in an Oakley bag to prevent the forgotten key or coin scratch. I'm close to removing the skin as I can set the phone on the Oakley bag and not worry about it scratching. I'm done with cases. They add too much bulk.

The skin has minimized damage, but it still has a few dings on the chamfers from drops. It definitely shows up more on the black.

23. JoeFkling macrumors regular

I have a white 5. I had a case on it from day one when I got it, but the last 2 weeks I have let it go naked. It appears to be holding up fine. I am not one to sell my iPhones so I am not too concerned or even casually notice nicks and scratches but even now looking at it more carefully there are only a few nicks and scraches on the angled part of the edge. I think its holding up quite nicely.

24. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I don't like using protection. I think it feels better without it. I've had this phone for about 9 months. Maybe one small scratch so far.

25. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I haven't used a screen protector or case on my white iPhone 5, and I don't have any scratches, scuffs, marks, whatever. It's pretty much perfect. I do have finger prints all over it though.

I have never once dropped any of my previous iOS devices, but I did have cases on some of them for months at a time. After a while I get sick of the cases and screen protectors and take everything off. I hate the look of an iPhone in a giant bulky ass case. So I say **** IT and go completely naked.

----------

I hope you completely shatter the screen and can't get it replaced. :)