anyone else have problems with "N" routers and their macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brianbkny, Nov 12, 2007.

1. brianbkny macrumors member

Ever since I got an "N" router, my connection constantly freezes or drops out. i hooked an older "G" router up and i havent had one problem in the past few days. anyone else run into this problem?

2. jonG macrumors member

I have the same exact problem. I recently set up a D-link wireless N router and i have to unplug it about every other day cause the signal just stops. I have tried it with a iBook G4 and a MBP. any ideas anyone. This is very annoying.

3. chem macrumors regular

AEBS + SR MBP = no problems on any setting. my rare problems have been traced back to my cable modem/provider.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Could be the router - have you tried with other notebooks? (I've had routers that needed to be rebooted constantly).

5. brianbkny thread starter macrumors member

i returned 3 different routers "N" routers because i thought it was just the router. now im back on a linksys "G" router and it works perfect.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Are these SR MacBook Pros that are having these problems?

My 2.33GHz MBP (bought just before the SRs came out) connects to an N router and keeps the connection all the time.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

No problems keeping a signal with the Netgear N router.

8. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Are you using any devices which use "g" network on your N-router, along with your MBP? I know that this causes issues, and the MBP has to step down to "g" speeds. Try removing and "g" devices and see if the problem persists.

Also, do you have your router set to broadcast in g/n compatibility mode, or in N mode?

9. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

It seems people went for the "cheap" N routers and they don't work. I've had 0 problems with my Airport Extreme N. I've not read too many good reviews about other N routers. You get what you pay for I guess.

I'd like to add that I have two N Macbooks, a G Vista Laptop, and a Tivo G adapter all running smoothly on my network.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

N is still only a draft standard so if your router doesn't perfectly match the card in your Macbook you might have a problem.

11. brianbkny thread starter macrumors member

i paid $100+ for the router and every one i exchanged for was a bit more expensive, i dont think its a "cheap" router issue.

i am the only wireless connection on the network and the signal doesnt drop, its just the connection. my wireless signal stays strong, but my connection is gone.