Anyone else have rMBP stop responding in sun/heat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swingerofbirch, Jun 6, 2014.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I went out on my deck with my 13" rMBP to play music. It was sitting on a glass table, with full circulation available. It's 82 F and it was in direct sunlight. The top case got really hot and the computer stopped responding--couldn't click on anything, caps lock wouldn't respond. I was only out for about 5-10 mins. Brought it back inside and after two minutes everything was working normally with no restart needed. Called AppleCare and they recommended resetting SMC and PRAM. But this seems very specific to having been in the sun.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The system shut itself down because the internal temperature exceed the threshold (which I think is 100c)

Let it cool off out of the direct sunlight and you should be all set.

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I would not worry. This is just a simple case of a computer that got too hot. Aluminium is a great heat sink, but if left out in the sun it will eventually overheat and the computer will shut down to prevent damage to the CPU/GPU. working as intended

4. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Just be careful about leaving it in the sun and getting too hot; I've heard horror stories:

[​IMG]

5. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Anyone else have rMBP stop responding in sun/heat?

Omg! Did the overheating really caused that lol? Damn! Going to be a bit more careful too now then.

6. dalupus macrumors regular

just get an umbrella for your table and you should be fine. I mean if you sit in the sun you will roast. Why would your computer be any different.

I regularly sit outside and use mine for hours in 90+ degree heat while in the shade and have no issues.

7. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Supposedly. Luckily , that's not my computer.