Anyone else have Square card reader?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikelegacy, Jun 26, 2011.

1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You can't sign in with the app on the beta. Sucks. Oh well.

I'm one of those poor new devs who just started and cant afford a second device.

2. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Guess I don't know what a square card reader is, but nice avatar! Go Pens! Maybe Jagr next season?

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

[​IMG]

4. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Oh, I do know what that is. Thanks!

I guess it would be ideal for devs to have an extra device for testing. For what it's worth, you could right it off your taxes as a business expense. :D

5. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Yeah I have it, I let them know about it not working in the beta about 5 minutes after it came out. Hopefully they will have a fix before 5.0 goes final.

For anyone who does not have square and could ever need to accept a credit card... get it, it is awesome.

6. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Dude, we BEST get Jagr next season. I love him and he can relive his best years playing along side Sid.
    Dude I know, when I tell people who I do freelance web development for that I can accept credit cards and I swipe their card with my phone, they are just like....WHAT JUST HAPPENED!?!?

People love signing with their finger and getting text message receipts. It's really an amazing app.

7. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

I have 3 Square attachments. Just when they are developing the new card swipers >.<. I wasn't expecting iSquare to work on beta until they update their code anyways. Their app is old as sin :D.

8. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

i have a square reader and its amazing!!! really dont use it a whole lot but nice to have and ALWAYS have it with me :D i hope they do fix this in ios5 cuz its really nice to have

9. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I use it a lot to take cash out with my credit cards. Every time I take cash out of an ATM, i have to pay the ATM fee AND a $10 charge from my credit card company for a cash advance.

This way it's deposited into my checking account and I never have to pay that $10.

Heck, if I need fast cash, i'll take $2.75 charge on $100 rather than $10 anyday....

10. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

how long does it take to transfer from your square account to your banking account? i only used it once. wish there was a card like paypal to where you can use it instantly

11. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yeah, it takes like one day. So if you need INSTANT cash, it's a no-go, but I'm not normally in a position where i need CASH NOW.

12. pyro008 macrumors 6502

If you are, I suggest http://www.jgwentworth.com/

13. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

14. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

15. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Did you see the one where they are all Opera singers? It makes me wanna die. haha

16. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

yes lol and it reminded me of the back of a cocoa puffs box

17. s4yunkim macrumors regular

That's actually not a bad idea... since using an ATM to pull cash from a credit card would be rung up as a "cash advance", and running it through the square reader would be a purchase.

I think my card company charges something like 9% interest on purchases, but 22.99% on cash advances. Good tip if I ever need it!

18. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

It's awesome dude. Just my "thinking outside the box" :)

19. Einz macrumors regular

Einz

Why didn't they just use the build in camera?

https://www.card.io/

Are there more info the magnetic strip other than name, card numbers and expiration date?

20. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

No man, you get sent a magnetic card reader for free. Square just gets 2.75% of each transaction. Not bad though, since you don't have to deal with all the credit card company fees.