anyone else have their iPod touch screen scratched

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cheekybobcat, Jan 12, 2008.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I have had my my iPod touch for 17 days and on Friday, my screen was visited by the scratch fairy. Fifth in the middle of the video icon, there is a 1/8" long horizontal scratch that is deep enough for me to feel with my fingernail. I'm quite unhappy as you may guess and apple told me that after 14 days there isn't anything they can do about it. Luckily, my mom got the touch at BJ's wholesale club and they have a 30 day full return policy so tomorrow I'm going to get a new one. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and why it scratched when I heard its scratch proof?

2. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I scratched my car the other day and I only bought it two weeks ago - does that mean I can take it back and say "I was careless and didn't look after it - can I have a new one?"

3. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

It isnt scratch proof!
    No where has Apple stated that it is.
    The only way it could be scratch proof, was if it was made from diamonds.
    Its glass, glass scratches, big surprise there.

Take better care of it, Ive had mine since October, and it does not have a single scratch on the faceplate.

4. pab277 macrumors regular

sadly,yes. I have about 3 small scratches on the screen and have no idea how they got there to begin with. But I didn't return it, I've learnt to live with em.

5. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Yes well two weeks does fall within the 14 days so you should return it ;)

6. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I wish that I knew how the scratch got there but it was in a suede pouch in my backpack ( which was empty) in my locker, not moving.

7. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Of course I can't return it. I can't believe Mercedes would gladly hand me another car because of a scratch on the bumper.

A guarantee is to ensure that the manufacture of the product is satisfactory. You are confusing a guarantee with insurance. The screen will scratch as it's made of glass - hence why many companies make screen protectors.

8. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

But your scrath on the bumper does not divert your attention to it while your driving. My scratch would compare to a scratch in your windsheild. If I had a scratch on the back of my iPod I wouldn't care. Its the fact that my iPods "windshield" is scratched. And I'm almost positive that Mercedes would have a 10,000 or so mile or 5 year or so coverage in which they will fix a fault in the area you use to see through when using your car for free.
    Bam.

9. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

ho dear the scratch fairy gets around dosent she !!!!!!!!

10. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Ok. Say my windscreen had a scratch. How is that Mercedes' fault? It's not. And that's why they should not have to foot the bill. If the windscreen randomly fell out, then that is clearly a manufacturing fault and should be covered by the manufacturer.

Mercedes also supplied the car with a tank of fuel - I wouldn't expect them to replace it each time it ran out as we all know cars use fuel - in the same way we know a glass screen can scratch if not protected.

I'm not going to get in to a tit-for-tat argument, but from what do you suggest Apple make the screen in order to ensure that no scratches will ever appear?

(By the way: your = your; you're = you are)

11. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Yes, although I may seem dumb, I do know basic grammar.
    All I am saying is that just as a car company provides a limited protection package (I just turned 17 and got a Mazda 6 so I'm sure if a company like Mercedes which is a great deal better than Mazda would in fact supply a protection plan for at least 3 years), an electronics company, such as Apple, should at least give a 30 day "protection plan" if something should happen to a main part of the item.
    And although Mercedes would not cause a scratch or crack in the windshield that a customer would do, they do offer to fix it for free for a limited time.
    wam bam.

12. joefinan macrumors 6502a

You're still confusing a manufacturer's guarantee with personal insurance.

I think you're wrong, but that's only my opinion. If you get away with it and get a new iPod then that's all that matters (I still haven't even paid for my Touch - the shop randomly refunded me about a week later, so I'm on your side really).

13. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I have four scratches on my iTouch.

Luckily 3 of them are on the glass over the black part and not the screen. There is one that is about _ long of a scratch but it is halfway on the screen and half way on the black part. It does not bother me that much. I have dropped it twice on hard surfaces. Once on bricks.

14. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I do apologize for my "argumentative" persona and my numerous quotations but like you said, if I can get a new one for free, I'm going to take advantage of it.
    You seem a worthy opponent but here I offer a peace treaty as I do like you.

(Oh, and by the way, I've been posting on my iPod :p)

15. frogcat macrumors member

guys, that sucks. I know how you feel cause i dropped my 8 gig touch, but then it got stolen. I learned my lesson when my girlfriend bought me a 16 gig. I went out and bought me one of those anti glare screens. That $15 at the apple store was so worth it. It makes the screen look wonderful. I know 15 bucks for a sliver of material just doesn't seem justifiable, but for a $400 machine, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I also got a black premium sena case. Look into those. they are the best cases.

16. arj8138 macrumors member

I got a case made of diamond, so it will also never scratch. :cool:

ok lies....but I did get a screen protector about 2 days after getting the touch. My only problem is that lint from my pocket gets in-between the screen-protector and the case. It make its look dirty.

17. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I just got one and I have the same problems. However, I would rather my screen look dirty than have physical scratches all over it.

18. delude macrumors 6502

Sorry its off topic, but I thought thios was funny. (Kinda links in with taking it back...I guess)
    When I was in the apple store today a polish person came in and said:
    'My friend dropped his iPhone in water, may I have a new one please?'
    :D

19. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

That sucks. There really isn't anything you can do about it it's your fault in the first place. And the screen definately isn't scratch proof. It's scratch RESISTENT.

20. TwilightLuver15 macrumors newbie

Wow...

Ok I drop my iPod almost everyday and theres scratches on the back thats it... I never have a case on it and today it fell out of the top shelf of my locker which is probaly a good 5 and a half feet of the ground and all that happened was theres a small dent in the back

21. rickytowner macrumors member

rickytowner

My m8 has and im going to buy a screen cover for over the frount of the iPod they are just like clear stickers and if they scratch (but they normally don't) we just peel it off and replace it with a new one :) so the screen stays 100% scratch free.

Heras the link they are only 1.99 but you can get the cheaper on ebay and places like that - LINK

22. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

oh rly, i paid 100 bucks for a diamond screen protector. it is bullet proof!!:p

23. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

To the original poster - if you get a new touch then make Invisible Shield your friend.

24. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

It's not scratch proof, it's scratch resistance. If you want scratch proof, get this.
    https://www.zagg.com/support/installvideo.php