Anyone else have their phone really hot / battery drained?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdcrow711, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

While sitting at work, I pulled my iPhone out of my pocket to put in its dock. The battery was more than half drained (from full 6 hours ago) and the back of it was really warm. It has sat in my pocket (all by itself) untouched all day. I only have fetch set to once every 60 minutes - no push.

Anyone else had this happen?? Or have suggestions so it wont happen to me again? I would rather not turn it in for a new one if possible -- it is a launch day white 16gb with no cracks, no light leaks, and has been wonderful since day 1... until today :)

Thanks!

2. Kyeris macrumors 6502

It would be possible that being in your pocket could warm it up, but only the back of it was warm so that dosen't sound right.

For me the phone will get warm if I talk on the phone for a while (30 min+), or if it's restoring/updating/etc. I haven't had it get warm yet without any usage.

3. rittchard macrumors 6502

Do you have wireless on? Or maybe bluetooth?

Only other thing I can think of is a stray App that somehow didn't really shut down drained the power.

I would just reboot and watch it cautiously, and also take it out of your pocket :)

4. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

That used to happen to me with an previous phone. It only happened when visiting a certain location with nonexistent cell coverage (zero bars).

One theory was that the phone would crank it's radio up to full power trying to reach the nearest tower. That would drain the battery in half a day and noticeably warm the phone. I used to turn it off completely to save power, since I couldn't make calls anyway.

Back home, with good coverage, the battery lasted a couple of days.

Maybe it's something like that?

5. jdcrow711 thread starter macrumors regular

No bluetooth or wireless on -- the other night the discover cannon game drained my battery... but I havent played that in 24 hrs plus so it wasnt that. Last app I used was google maps this morning on my way in -- but i didnt think location services could drain it that bad :)

6. galactic732 macrumors member

happened to me a few weeks ago.

went from full to dead in about 20 mins and i had to hard reset twice just to even get it on.

apple store said that since they couldn't reproduce what happened that i was outta luck.

it sucks, i know

7. parham55 macrumors member

It happened to me once and has not happened again. I turned it off and let it sit awhile restarted and had about 25% battery left from full charge 1 hour previously. Can't give you any more tips than that.

8. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

I had a dropped call where my phone was really hot. Ironically, I was on hold for AT&T (about half an hour) when my call was dropped.

Have not experienced a battery drain.

9. sh0ckerturb0 macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

happened once to me with my old iphone 2.5g... i went camping for 3 days and it was like 100 degrees out all day everyday and had it fully charged and turned it off to let sit in my car on day one. when i went to leave on day 3 and tried to turn it on nothing would work. i tried plugging it into the wall, car charger, usb charger hooked to my computer, nothing would get it to turn on. i thought i fried it in the heat and took it to apple and after sitting on a firewire charger for 15 minutes it finally turned back on but the screen was super dim and they replaced it. since then i got the 3g iphone and havent had similar problems until yesterday. the phone was sitting in my car with the windows cracked plugged into the charger charging while i was at work. i came out about an hour later to find the phone off and unable to turn back on. after some fidgiting i got it to turn back on about 10 minutes later with a completely drained battery