Anyone else have this issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Opstech, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Hello Macbook Pro users. My Macbook Pro makes a light cracking noise when moving it from my lap to the table or any other place. I started to check all the places where it could be making the noise, and found it to be the bottom plate. It would make a noise as if it was shifting. It's weird because i don't physically see it move when trying to flex the machine lightly, but I hear it. Do any of you have this same reaction with your uMBP?
    Thanks,

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    isn't it the sudden motion sensor which blocks the hard disk ?

3. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Yeah, I have a 15" and from time to time I hear a *tink tink* sound when I press on the bottom panel in anyway... including when I use the system on my chest when I am lying down (REALLY annoying). I KNOW that this isn't the HDD clunking that others have... My friend has the HDD parking issue and it in louder and deeper-- *clunkier* than mine. My sound is more centrally located on the bottom panel.

I unscrewed, removed, and reseated my bottom panel to try to investigate and/or remedy the problem-- and had little to no effect on the sound. Maybe you can do the same with more luck.

4. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

This one is different from the HDD. I have that one too..lol...That one doesn't bother me, or I got used to it. But the noise is more of the bottom plate on all four sides. If I were to open the plate, would it void my warranty?

5. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

6. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

No, your warranty would be fine. Apple allows for user upgrades to RAM and HDD, both of which require opening the plate.

7. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I, too, have a MBP. Never experienced this :confused:

Call AppleCare, mate.

Habitus :apple:

8. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

What are the best tools to open it with? I don't want to mess it up, if you know what i mean?

9. Jottle macrumors 6502

I have this sound from time to time. It usually happens when I'm using the mbp on a nonflat surface (such as my lap). It also creaks when you press on the middle of the bottom cover. If you do a search on the forums here, you'll see that many people have a creaking or a cracking sound coming from the bottom plate. You are absolutely correct OP. What you're hearing is the bottom panel of aluminum expanding or flexing. If you open your mbp (as I did) you'll find there's a bit of empty space in the middle of the notebook. when there's pressure on the bottom plate, the sides make a creaking or cracking noise (pretty common) when the middle portion flexes in. I doubt getting a new bottom cover will help because it's a design issue. However, you could try going through applecare. Or you may have to just live with it. I doubt you could safely put any cushioning inside the bottom plate. It gets pretty hot in there. You'd have to use high temperature rubber or weather stripping.

10. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Thanks Jottle,
    That helped a lot. I was worried it was a major issue. If a lot of people are having the same issue with their machine, than i'll live with it. I will however, try to refit the plate.

11. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

I noticed this on my uMBP 13", mainly when it was cold. The creaking would diminish as the computer warmed up. I was actually able to fix it entirely by loosening and retightening the screws on the bottom plate. You don't want to really crank them down; hand tight to the point where you start to feel resistance. I think my creaking was due to stress from overtightened screws.

12. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I just used a tiny philips head screwdriver that I had from the past. Mine says "Cross x50" on it-- assuming that's the type and the size. Look at the screws on your computer and use your judgment in what size philips will fit best. You will want a really tiny one.

Also, pay close attention to the advice mentioned in an earlier post. Don't over tighten, the threads are in the aluminum casing... If you do over tighten, you will strip the threads the screws go into which are part of the system case itself-- don't want to be replacing that, do you? :p