Anyone else have this pet peeve about SMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Ok, so this has annoyed me for as long as I can remember, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone mention in here.

When typing in sms (probably other applications too), and you get the the end of a line and hit 'space' it in no way informs you that you have indeed hit the space button... It doesn't space, nor does it jump down to the next line (as it should). but instead it just sits there at the tailend of the last word.

Now, I have problems hitting the spacebar already. Not sure why (I think it's because I usually look at the letters when i type, but i don't really look at the spacebar so just defaultly strike the area with my thumb, so i think i hit it too low. also NO AUTO CORRECTION FOR SPACEBAR!)

Anyway, so I have no way of knowing if I actually hit the spacebar or not so I can either A) assume I already hit it and possibly accidentally join the two words together or B) strike spacebar again and possibly make the iphone think i was trying to end a sentence so it does that whole period/capitalization thing. (Usually case B happens)

Does this bother anybody else? Does anybody have any sort of rationalization for why this happens? Because, now that I think if it, I believe that iChat might do this as well. Seem DUMB to me.

2. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I have noticed it. I usually type too fast for it to bother me but I can see how it could be an annoyance to some. I think a lot of Mac apps do it as well.

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's always bothered me too... it's not just SMS though.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Never bothered me and I've sent and received about 3000 texts this month alone yet.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

True. I've noticed it. I'm usually a stickler for placing one space between words, one space after a comma, and two spaces after a period. So, yes. It is a small pet peeve. It also occurs while posting on a message board and in email too.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

7. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

And another...

On mine there is also the issue that if you end a line with a question mark followed by a space not only do you get no confirmation of having pressed space but also the auto-capitalisation does not work. This only seems to happen with question marks, exclamation marks and full stops do activate the auto-capitalisation feature.

Alec

8. davyreins macrumors 6502

I actually didn't notice this until you mentioned it...guess I'll pay more attention now

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's never really bothered me, but I can see how it could be an annoyance. I have a bit of trouble hitting the space bar sometimes but I don't really notice the problem that you stated.

10. kinkster macrumors 6502a