anyone else have this problem.Headphone jack messed up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegan TJ, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Vegan TJ macrumors regular

Vegan TJ

this started when i got the 3g iphone...i have an aux input in my car ..so when im listening to music though the headphones or though the car my music CONSTANTLY stops playing ...it will pause its self then maybe 15 to 25 seconds later it will play again then pause again..its not the speakers cause i can listen to music through the speakers and it doesnt do that only when something is plugged into the headphone jack...should i return it for a new one? does anyone else have this problem... what does it sound like?HELP

2. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Yes, I had this problem also, and actually made a genius bar appointment to talk to a genius about it, on day 14 in case it needed to be exchanged. He tested my headphone jack with the earbuds and said he thought the headphone jack was fine. He did recommend however to purchase a different cable for plugging the iphone into the aux jack. In particular he recommended the Monster brand cable that they sell there in the Apple store (I had been using the Griffin brand cable.)

The Monster brand cable does seem to have a much better connection and fit, and I've had way less problems since then (although not completely problem-free, but 90% better). I don't usually recommend over-priced Monster cables, hehe, but this one is the same price as the others, they all seemed to be $20, and this one does seem to work better for whatever reason. One other thing I learned while playing around with the set-up, was that it seemed VERY very picky about what order things were done in, for example it worked much better if I plugged in the cable to the phone, then turned the mode of the car head unit to aux, then finally started the song. This is in contrast to the original iphone, where I could start the song, then plug in the cable and switch over the mode, and it would switch over from the iphone speaker to the car speakers mid-song without missing a beat. Not so with the 3G- much more picky about the cable being a tight fit and everything in order before play starts. Hope this helps.

3. cenetti macrumors 6502

I am using a $2 cable in my car, everyday, all day...
    no problems

4. jt999 macrumors regular

I am having 2 similar problems with my 3g iPhone.

First, at times I get no sound from the external speakers connected to my headphone jack. If I unplug the speakers, music will play through the iphone speaker. When I plug the external speakers back in; no sound.

If I reset my iPhone, then everything plays properly.

Secondly, I have my iPhone connected to my car stereo system. I am able to hear the person on the phone through my car speakers and they hear me through my iPhone microphone. At times the other party can not hear me, although I can hear them perfectly.

Again, if I reset my iPhone, they hear me as normal.

I never had either of these problems with my 1st generation iPhone.
    It seems that it is either bug in the 2.0 firmware, or I have a defective phone. I am no expert, but it would seem to be firmware related, since it seems unlikely I would have both a defective jack and microphone.

Jeff

5. TechJunky macrumors regular

I've got a different bug with my headphone jack. I typically listen to Pandora in my car, and just have an aux headphone jack plugged directly in to my alpine. Every time I unplug the jack, the ipod starts playing. It does this whether I close Pandora before unplugging or not. Sometimes the ipod app will open and start, other times it will just stay on the home screen, but start playing. WEIRD! I haven't experimented with other sequences of plugging, unplugging, closing apps, etc.

6. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Yea, like I said, the headphone jack on the new 3G is really super picky about when you plug it in/unplug it, in relation to what is happening on the car stereo and if a file is currently playing on the phone, or else it freaks out and goes silent or skips to other files and stuff. Kind of annoying, but maybe the 2.1 firmware will fix.

7. ottergal macrumors member

MY headphone jack isn't picky at all... I regularly start the song then insert the plug into the phone and then tell it to play with my stereo (I am using a completely cheap tape adaptor). If I unplug the cable from the headphone jack it stops the playback, just like my ipod does.

Maybe there is a weird something going on with yours, but they're not all goofed up. I've never had anything like that you're describing happen with mine.