Anyone else have this problem with Air Video

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Staindsoul, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I did my first offline conversion the other day. Took about 50 minutes or so to complete. When I went to play the converted video, it would not play. Just stuck there and acted like it was buffering.

So converted videos still have to buffer or should they play instantly?

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

They buffer for a few seconds.

One thing I've noticed is that if you set up your server for remote access but then try to use Air Video from the same network (i.e., you're not actually remote) it gets confused and acts like you're describing. If you're at home and have set up remote access, don't choose the instance of your server that shows the PIN number.

3. Staindsoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

Thanks I will try that when I get home. Yes, I was at home using it on my wifi network.

4. msduncan macrumors 6502

Exactly. I set up two instances of Air Video. One has my pin for internet access, the other was over my local network and didn't have the pin.

5. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

I have just been using covert while playing and it works great. Is there an advantage to coverting the whole thing before you watch it?

6. supermanx macrumors member

Some high bitrate hd movies take a while to cache over slower networks. Honestly i use the offline convert to have one click conversion before syncing. I usually connect from work, convert 2-3 movies for the next day and sync them to my ipad when i get home. Watch, delete, repeat.

7. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

The thing with video conversion is that it's very processor intensive, so the faster the processor on your "server" the faster you'll be watching your movie. Also the quality of the original also plays a part. I have a whole bunch of 1080p mkv movies on my various externals and even my 27" i7 takes about 5-10 seconds to play if i choose convert and play the 1080p content. And while this is going on my iMac is almost pegged at 100% util with ffmpeg. So the more horse power you have the faster you'll be watching.

8. Tech-Boy macrumors regular

I have a Quad core clocked at 3.5ghz and it doesn't break sweat. Air Video will even convert live more than one iPod at the same time, no lag or wait. Very fast, best app I have every bought. It will even start playing 8gb bluray files in less than 3 sec.

My only problem is that it says double Nat so I can't use it online. I think it is my dsl modem from my isp, so I will have to have them come out I think, so that I can get into the modem settings, as they won't give me a pass.

9. frankjl macrumors regular

You have time to watch 2-3 movies on your ipad? WOW i want your job.

I'll be lucky if I can stream 1 full song of pandora without being bothered about
    Lines of code :(

10. frankjl macrumors regular

whos is your I.S.P?

11. Tech-Boy macrumors regular

I am in Costa Rica, so it is the only one in the Country. "ICE"

12. supermanx macrumors member

No, I'm not watching 2-3 a day... Just converting 2-3 at a time. That way if I finish a movie at lunch or while waiting for a meeting to start I can start the next movie without worrying about streaming or converting.