Anyone else have this...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entraik, Nov 8, 2017.

1. entraik, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

entraik Suspended

Just noticed this. Weird nicks and bends in the surrounding metal near the top of the phone. My phone has been in a case minus me taking it out to put a screen protector on and I haven’t dropped or damaged the phone in any way. Is this just a cosmetic defect? Don’t really feel like returning it as my phone works great and im having no other issues.

Attached Files:

2. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I'm not sure I'm seeing what you're describing. That looks like the edge of a screen protector to me.

3. entraik thread starter Suspended

I'm referring to the stainless steel band that surrounds the phone.. at the top.. at the top there are small nicks and dents in that band for me.. subtle but noticeable.

4. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I see a small speck but other than that I can't see much detail. If you think it's unacceptable, go look at other phones at the Apple store to see if it's common.

5. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Maybe it's the way the steel is reflecting a non-uniform surface? I would recommend taking a photo with a different background.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

7. entraik thread starter Suspended

8. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

9. entraik thread starter Suspended

have a case on my phone at all times so I'm not too worried about that

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I can see it. It looks like some sort a type of manufacturing irregularity with the stainless. Likely a non-issue, but still something you shouldn't have to notice for a $1000 iPhone.

11. mfldmike macrumors regular

Yeah I can see it too, it would bug me for little bit. If I had any other issues with the phone I would return it, but I don’t see that as the sole reason to.

I’m 2 1/2 hrs away from an Apple Store though, and what I might be willing to “live with” might not be practical to you.

12. tivoboy macrumors 68040

So, I too have a couple of what I'll call manufacturing burrs on the edge. Right around the volume up button. It's nearly impossible to see, but easy to feel. It's not a big deal for me, but then again they don't appear to be too problematic. I'm surprised a BIT that one doesn't do a paper glove run around these edges prior to put into manufacturing.

13. entraik thread starter Suspended

I’m wondering if a case could cause this? I’m using a patchwork’s ITG level case. Surely, a case isn’t warping stainless steel taking it on and off?

14. tivoboy macrumors 68040

most likely not.. it was probably there when you bought it and just didn't notice it.. excitement and enthusiasm will do that.

15. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

16. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I see it. It does not appear to be on mine, so I would think it is a very tiny, albeit noticeable, defect or damage to the rim of the casing.