Anyone else having a fickle power adaptor with their new Penryn Macbook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I plug it in and the light usually turns on and it starts to charge. But sometimes, the light does not turn on and it charges. and sometimes the light does not turn on and it does not charge. Has anyone else had issues like this? It's hardly reproducible - happens maybe one in 20 times, but it's annoying.

2. phatcat macrumors regular

nope, never. Mine turns green, then orange if it needs a charge.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hmmm looks like it's time to give applecare a call...

4. chris y. macrumors regular

I have been experiencing this very same issue. I picked up my MBP last monday and noticed the problem when I first plugged it in. I let it go for 4 days to see if it would go away on its own, but I still get it intermittently. I called applecare on Saturday and got them to ship me out a new power adapter.

The guy on the phone didnt really know what to say to the problem besides that its the first time hes heard of it.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Ah so someone else had it too! Great. I can reference this thread when I call - not like they ever check, but usually if you tell them that other people are having the same issues, they give you less trouble.

6. DocSmitty macrumors regular

My charger stopped working entirely while on vacation. Luckily, the vacation spot was closer to an Apple store than where I live. Stopped by and got it replaced... but I hadn't had any sort of issues prior to it dying.

7. jarpod macrumors member

Im having the same issue!!! I just got my 17" MBP and when I plug the adapter in, sometimes it will not turn on! sad for a new product :S
    :confused::confused:
    ill be calling applecare in about an hour
    regards

8. jarpod macrumors member

Just called them and they will send me a replacement..... good thing... I guess

9. Sace macrumors member

Yes same issue here - Combined with the "led mess up" i called apple - And they send me a complete new system tomorrow :)

Damn, why does the fanciest notebook you can buy have all these problems..

10. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

I have noticed mine has a similar issue. I guess I will be calling applecare.

11. DallasGooner macrumors newbie

12. jarpod macrumors member

hmmm I dont know why... but it seems that apple's quality control has really really gone down....
    BTW, what do you mean by the complete led mess up?

13. switcher3365 macrumors regular

I thought my MPB was defect-free, but after reading this post, I guess this is a problem. I noticed this problem earlier today.

14. jarpod macrumors member

HAHAHA thats what happens when you are a forum junkie.... you come to a sad realization that there's defects on your computer or car (in my case) and you are damned for eternity!!! your stuff will always have an issue :p:p:p
    in our case (thank God) its just a mere AC Adapter
    hope everything works out for you
    best regards

15. chris y. macrumors regular

I actually got a new power adapter sent to me and it does the same thing. LED on the magsafe adapter plug intermittently lights up. Sometimes it works and other times it shows up dimly lit, but at least it appears to always charge even if the led doenst show up.

I probably wont bother apple again until I hear about this getting actually fixed.

16. jarpod macrumors member

That is really bad news... it has to do with the power circuit then........
    Ill see what happens when my new adapter comes right in... hope it fixes everything up

17. ulik macrumors newbie

I noticed exactly same problem today on my 1 week new 17" MBP... What a bummer. Another thing noticed is that the battery never gets fully charged. I left the computer running with AC plugged in and it was sitting at 95% all the time. And, it also said it needed ~1 hour to fully charge. LED light on MagSafe was amber all the time. This sounds more like electric circuitry problem to me. It doesn't bother me that much, since the battery is working fine and the charger appears to be working, but hey, it's not a five hundred bucks computer... Will take it to the genius bar some time this week...

18. Sace macrumors member

Oops, forgot the link -
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=457156

I agree - a notebook at this price tag should be running with no problems.