Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Right after I ran the 10.5.5 Combo update my computer went haywire. I'm getting random -50 errors left and right. All kinds of stablility problems are showing up. I can't make folders. I can't copy and paste. I tried to download something from safari and it said I didn't have enough disk space even though I have over 250GB free. Then when I try to restart I spun on the grey screen for hours. Tried to reinstall the OS from the disk and it failed. Lost a lot of files. I switched users and my external HDs unmounted and couldn't come back. It's gotta be the update right? I heard of about 4 other people who use their computers in completely different fashions who all had the same or close variations to these problems when they installed the new updates.

Anyone experiencing this or am I crazy?

Mackee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Unless I start from my system disk, it never gets past the apple. It just spins and spins and spins...I really don't want to reformat and build my os from the ground up but I may have to. I'm not even certain that will fix it.

twodogsdad

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
machine now dead

I think i have a similar problem. I recently installed 10.5.4 and then updated to 10.5.5. A last week I was told (by the system update manager) that I needed to update Safari (which I don't use) mid way through the install my computer froze. Since then I haven't been able to boot from the 10.5.5 disk. I was able to boot from the install disk for a while and I was also able to boot from an old OS 9 disk once. Then my system would freeze after a few minutes. Now, nothing, not even the chime. :eek::apple:

Before the Safari update my machine ran fine for a few weeks with 10.5.5.

Does anyone know if this is a coincidence, the freezes and the Safari download? Does anyone know of a solution short of a new computer?

Thanks

I'm using a dual G4 MDD (1.25 GHz) with 2 GB ram. Everything is stock except for the RAM Kingston which has not previously given me trouble.

Mackee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I also ran that safari update. It's entirely possible that has something to do with it.

Can't ask apple because they will always deny it was their stuff that screwed something up.

twodogsdad

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
anyone out there?

Yeah, I don't know if the Safari update was involved or it was coincidence...

I ended up tonight doing a cuda/pmu reset, removed my motherboard battery, etc. One trich offered on another site was to boot without any ram on the board. If the motherboard recognizes that there is no ram there then it will give a warning tone. Mine did exactly that but after replacing the ram and attempting a reboot, still nothing, no chime even. So I'm guessing that my CPU may be dead.

If there are any folks reading this who have any insight and could respond I would appreciate that. Given that I don't have the cash for a new apple, I figure I'm going to have to go and build myself a Linux box. I would just like to know that I've tried all I can.

Cal

twodogsdad

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
my solution

Well, I have my MDD up and running again. The logic motherboard PMU reset seems to have done the trick. I still can't boot off of the 10.5.5 drive that I was using when I downloaded the Safari update even though I can still see all of the files on there and they all seem to be in tact and the computer recognizes it as a bootable 10.5.5 disk. So, I used an old 30 GB drive I have, erased it and did a clean install of 10.2 on it.( I found that after the PMU reset I wasn't able to install 10.5.4 on the 30 GB hd.) Now my system is running on 10.2. I plan on buying a new larger hd and trying to install 10.5.4 on that and then port my old files over.

For me the PMU reset with battery removal, etc worked. I don't have a lot of low level mac experience but I do have a lot working with electronics in general through my degrees and my work. If you decide to try the hardware resets, they are not difficult, but if you don't have experience working with static sensitive devices like computer motherboards, etc... then I would strongly suggest that you take your machine to a pro or have someone who is experienced help you.

Good luck,

cal

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
Unless I start from my system disk, it never gets past the apple. It just spins and spins and spins...I really don't want to reformat and build my os from the ground up but I may have to. I'm not even certain that will fix it.

Well the last 24 hours were not fun for me. I did the update and also did the Safari update, so I don't know which caused my system to get trashed. After doing some research I chose to do an archive and install. I was pleased with the results. It saved all of my on-board data and all of my apps still work - well a few needed some help, but nothing major.

The system is up and running again, just as it did when new. There is some more work for me to do such as importing my address book, setting up email accounts, retrieving old emails that I need to reference from time to time, importing bookmarks and setting up some peripherals.

All in all, it was a pretty good solution. I thought about getting into the system to try and debug it with some help from here, but I'm not confident enough nor do I have the base knowledge of how to pull that off without making things worse. Fortunately I recently performed a back-up and felt that if things didn't go as expected, I wouldn't have lost very much.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
For those that the PMU/SMC reset seems to have done the trick.

Look in the System.log and see if you find ...

AppleFWOHCI_AsyncReceive::waitForDMA - context not going inactive.
AppleFWOHCI_AsyncTransmit::waitForDMA - context not going inactive.

Seems FW controller might be locking up for some of us.

Haven't seen it come back after a reset, but the lockup was a PIA.

twodogsdad

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
system logs

I'll see if I can get my system logs of the hd from the system, 10.5.5, I was using when the freezes started. I'll let y'all know what I find.

Cal

P.S. Live steam, I'm glad the backup worked for you.

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
I'll see if I can get my system logs of the hd from the system, 10.5.5, I was using when the freezes started. I'll let y'all know what I find.

Cal

P.S. Live steam, I'm glad the backup worked for you.

Thanks. What a PITA this was! Maybe the archive and install is the way for you to go too. It's a bit of work, but you get end up with a clean system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.