Anyone else having a problem with the proximity sensor?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by NJFP, Oct 12, 2013.

1. NJFP, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2013

NJFP macrumors 6502

The proximity sensor? I've been face dialing and activating Facetime a bunch when I'm in a call. Not all the time, but often enough that it's quite annoying.

iOS7 on an iPhone 5. Clean install.

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Yes, and the fix is very simple. And you need to do is....

3. zone23 macrumors 68000

I've seen people have problems when using some screen protectors. Do you have one on your phone? Maybe its the problem.

4. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Yep. Started (among other problems) after the iOS7 update. And I don't want to hear that it's the case or the screen protector. Neither are in the way. And it worked fine before the update.

This is on an iphone 5 (T-mobile version). It's now "cheek dialing" and turns on the speaker phone randomly.

Tried all sorts or restarts and resets.

5. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I don't have a screen protector, so that's not it. Mine is a Verizon phone, but others that I work with and they're on other networks are having the same issues. Random, can't recreate it, it just happens.

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

This same issue was in ios initial releases. It was hard to repeat so lots thought it didn't exist. With each patch Apple would fine tune the sensitivity of the seniors and eventually it became stable. I remember when I had to adjust how I held the device or or would always mute on me, so this is nothing new and will get worked out in the end. I just hope sooner, as though I don't have this issue my wife does and it is annoying when trying the talk to her on the phone to be muted or face dialed.

7. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

Never had it happen on any other GM release.......... Hope it gets fixed soon, it's quite annoying.

8. ah123 macrumors regular

It's happened to me often enough - I'll be on a call, and it'll suddenly switch to speakerphone mode, or mute my mic.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm using a Verizon iPhone 5...no problems at all with the proximity sensor.

10. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

I had something similar occur with my 5s - was at grocery store waiting in the deli line. I hear my phone beep. I pull the phone from my pocket and come to find out there was a missed call only a moment earlier and somehow a text was sent indicating that I was busy, what's up? The phone had a mind of its own. My hands were nowhere near my pocket. I'm still baffled how this happened.