Anyone else having iCloud/IMAP manual settings issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 7enderbender, Jan 21, 2014.

1. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Hi there,

Out of the blue - and just after I committed to go deeper down the Apple rabbit whole (just bought my first Mac) - my emails stopped working this afternoon.

I'm using my iCloud account with manual server settings so that I can use my own personal email outgoing email and SMTP.

This has been working fine for a year now (imap.mail.me.com incoming server, etc). Now it started complaining that there is a mismatch between password and username. Only that it's fine. Works on my Mac. Works in iCloud on the web. And I didn't change anything.

Wiped out the phone and put on a backup from two days ago. Still, don't receive anything. Same error message.

I'm at a loss. Anyone else experiencing this who sets up mail settings manually for iCloud?

2. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

So I feel done with this even if it should magically work again tomorrow or whenever. Apple can't do email in a reliable way and it's no replacement for my much missed Blackberry service. Which is dead in the water also.

So let's think practically here: what alternatives do I have?

Objective: keep my current domain provider (who doesn't have any Exchange or Active Sync option for my plan), forward my main address to some other mailbox (that happens in an instant) and have that mailbox push to my iPhone - while I remain control over my outgoing email address.

Until this afternoon this is exactly what I did with my iCloud address (set up as "other" not "iCloud"). iCloud has never been 100% reliable and I noticed all sorts of weirdness over time. But today may just be the end of it.

So where to go? Where can I buy an address with Active Sync and set it up manually on the iPhone? Office 365 Home Premium? Doesn't look like it unless I go up to the business plan.

Any other alternatives?