anyone else having iOS5 syncing issues (contacts/iCal)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rawdawg, Dec 14, 2011.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I've noticed my iPhone is no longer syncing it's contacts and calendar with my MBP. I tried upgrading iPhone to 5.0.1 but no help.

In iTunes when I contact my iPhone it explains my contacts and calendars are being synced to the iCloud and therefore if I sync to my MBP there could be duplicates. This is stupid. I want to see new added contacts and events on my MBP.

Regardless I tried restarting, updating, and then unchecking and rechecking the "sync iCal Calendars" box which finally after many attempts got my phone to push it's newer events to my MBP. But I can't get it to push new contacts over to my Address Book.

Anyone else having this problem? Why can't there be a way to also sync to your Mac without having possible duplicates?

2. gmhag macrumors regular

Yes, absolutely.

I posted a comment back in November on here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1277507

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

I could be misunderstanding something, but as I read your situation you're trying to have the iphone sync against two sources of contacts, the MBP and iCloud.

The way it's design is to have one source. That can be the MBP or the iCloud. You need to choose which way you want to do it; either have both the MBP (requires Lion 10.7.2 IIRC) and iphone sync contacts/calendars to iCloud or not use iCloud for contacts/calendars. I don't believe you can mix the two unless they're separate sets of contacts & calendar items.

4. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Yeah, for best results you want to do one of the these two things:

1. Enable iCloud sync for Calendars and Contacts on BOTH your MBP and iPhone.
    2. Disable iCloud sync for Calendars and Contacts for BOTH your MBP and iPhone.

Personally I would recommend iCloud, I see calendar and contact changes propogate to all my devices in seconds. For example, I add a contact in Address Book. By the time I turn on my iPad and open up the contacts app, it's there. Same for iPhone. It's fantastic.

5. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Apple calendar is pretty hopeless. I use Calengoo to sync from Google Calendar. Not as nice looking at native Android calendar, but it looks really nice nonetheless.

6. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks to everyone! Looks like I need Lion or else I'll disable iCloud syncing on my iPhone.