Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
The method of placing text boxes actually makes sense. The general thinking is that there are two "modes". When you are typing (i.e. there is the flash i-beam), you are in "typing mode". Thus, when you place an object, it embeds it in your text, it does not float above it. When you click in the margin, however, you enter "layout mode". Now, when you place an object, it is not embedded in the text and you can move it wherever you want. The reason the text box icon is grayed out in typing mode is because why would you want to embed a text box in your text? You wouldn't, because it would be the same as typing. Thus, you must enter layout mode to do it.

This could be made simpler by Apple perhaps adding an icon in the toolbar that allows you to explicitly switch between typing and layout modes. My problem with Pages is that it is not easy to access the very basic features of a word processor. You need to be able to center text, for example, or change fonts right from the menubar (why are there buttons for subscript and superscript but not bold, italic, etc?). It's way too much of a pain to open the inspector or font window to do this.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
One more thing...why won't Pages remember the position of the window and inspector pallete? I want my window flush with the left side of the screen and the inspector to the right of that. I also want a blank document to open with 100% zoom, not 125%. However, whenever I create a new document, it is half an inch from the left side at 125% zoom, and the inspector overlaps it (screen space is at a premium on a 12" iBook). This is just really annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.