Anyone else having issues with iPhone at the gym?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by njpodder, Oct 1, 2007.

1. njpodder macrumors regular

When I am working out for more than 30 - 45 minutes, I find that the iPhone earbuds will stop working properly. The microphone button becomes inoperable. It does not do anything when clicking it and it does not function on a phonecall. The music from the iPod will skip around, sometimes just pausing randomly and starting back up randomly, skip around to differnt parts of the same song, or even other songs, and once, the iPhones screen starting flickering on and off from app to app. This only happens when I have been working out, running, lifting weights, etc. in the gym for more than about 30 - 45 minutes. Shutting down the iPhone and turning it back on does not help. About 15 - 20 minutes later, the earbuds microphone will start working again, and everything will be back to normal.

I know this has been brought up in the past, but not resolved yet. I hear it is a known issue to Apple. Does anyone have a link or proof of this or has Apple released a statement regarding a solution or at least aknowledgement of the problem? My brother-in-law has had the same problem with his, and I have read it from others on the forums so I know it is not just me. Thanks!

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

sweat?

3. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Mmm, nope. I use mine at the gym all the time and that's not happened. I wear it in a Belkin sports arm band on my arm, or I'll put that arm band/case in a holder on the treadmill or bike. I have only once jogged with it on my arm. Not that it's $400, I baby it at little less :D

So far, no probs.

4. achie25 macrumors 6502

5. rasputinj macrumors regular

no such issues, the biggest problem I have is not falling off the elliptical machine while I am watching south park videos on my iphone.

6. njpodder thread starter macrumors regular

Finally got around to seeing a mac genious about this issue. He says his has done the same thing before. He believes it is a gyrometer issue. Constant shaking of the iPhone (i.e. running with it) messes with the gyrometer in there and throws off the iPod function. I am not so sure about this theory. Guess working out with the iPhone may be out of the question unless you wnat to do a full restore after your workouts, which seems to correct the problem through about the next 4 or so workouts until it starts up again.

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Nope. Not yet. Hopefully someday.

8. dodonutter macrumors regular

Interesting word :p

9. njpodder thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that was my first thought too.

10. njpodder thread starter macrumors regular

I just hope they fix this issue (Whatever it is) before any such collaboration between Nike and Apple on the iPhone. Sounds like it is widespread enough to piss off those of us affected, but not widespread enough for Apple to address the issue yet. :(

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

They don't call them a "genious" for nothing. Headphones may be sweat as has been my experience with Shure (handful of times)...after drying they work 100%

Try positioning the iPhone differently or on the waist where it doesn't see the rotation as frequently as the arm?

12. calvy macrumors 65816

I run between 2 and 3 miles with my iphone almost every day, and have never seen this issue. I carry the phone in my hand though, so rather than much shock, it's just getting shaken back and forth as my hands move during my running. Not sure if that makes any difference.

13. SAMTATSICPRO macrumors regular

yeah, I had this problem before. What happens: the sweat gets on the mic by the cable and mic joined with the clicker and aome how it starts going nuts after a few sweat drops hit the inside of the click/mic. I am on my 4th set of headphones because of this... So what I did was that I added a small piece of tape on the clicker protecting the top of it, since the sweat goes in by the joint of the wire and clicker. The headphone usally work after the sweat dries up at times if not it just wont click and you have no more mic functions working.

14. njpodder thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I am definately going to give them all a shot. The only reason I would think this may not be a headphone issue is that after this happens, I can disconnect the headphones, put the iPhone on the desk, and it will continue skipping around erratically until I finally shut it down. On the other hand, that could just mean that once it throws the thing out of whack, it needs a reset to get back to normal without the sweaty headphones. Thanks again!

15. jeja7676 macrumors newbie

those look great. it was probably the sweat causing the problem.