Anyone else having problems playing some games on the iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KevinM2, Mar 19, 2012.

1. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

I couldn't see any mention of anyone else having problems with the iPad 3 and games, but my wife plays a lot of the Playrix games, and some of them simply don't respond to screen touches.

The games start fine, but the screen simply doesn't react to touches. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but to no avail.

I don't believe it is an IOS 5.1 issue, as they worked fine on her iPad 2 running 5.1

I wonder if this is maybe more widespread than people are aware, or is it just a very small handful of games (maybe even from the same company) that are affected?

Anyone else having problems playing games on the iPad 3?

2. DFig619 macrumors member

Not here, playing real racing with no issues.

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Have you asked the developer?

C

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Most likely they haven't been updated for the retina screen yet. A lot of games also are built on top of game libraries such as Cocos2d/Kobold2D, Corona, Game Salad, and others. Developers have to wait for these libraries to be retina-compatible before they can update their apps. Consider an app that's looking for a touch at a certain location on screen like 200 pixels on the x axis and 300 pixels on the y axis. With a retina screen, that location will no longer correspond to the placement of UI elements which are looking for touches in that area because there's twice as many pixels in each dimension. If the developer hard-coded pixel values in, that is, which many do. That's just a hypothetical example, I can't say what the issue with your particular games are, but they likely need a retina-aware update.

5. KevinM2 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was the weekend, so I going to ask today. I just thought I'd check here first, in case it was a known issue.

----------

That is basically what I thought it would be, but I just wanted to check. If it is this, I'd like to think that a fix would be out fairly quickly, but there are a lot of games out there!!