Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delta77thegreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
The computer woke up twice in the middle of the night. The first time, I put it back to sleep. Five minutes later, it woke up again. That time, I shut it down so the problem would not recur. I have not been able to pinpoint a reason for the computer waking up as “wake for network access” is disabled in System Preferences. I can only conclude it’s an issue with El Capitan.

I've already sent feedback to Apple for this. Anyone else having the same problem?

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
The computer woke up twice in the middle of the night. The first time, I put it back to sleep. Five minutes later, it woke up again. That time, I shut it down so the problem would not recur. I have not been able to pinpoint a reason for the computer waking up as “wake for network access” is disabled in System Preferences. I can only conclude it’s an issue with El Capitan.

I've already sent feedback to Apple for this. Anyone else having the same problem?

Same issue with my MBP however I assumed it was a third party internal optical drive that was waking the system up. Do you have any scheduled shutdowns/wakes?

delta77thegreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
I don't have any scheduled sleep/wake/shutdown that I know of unless El Capitan automatically added something.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be sending automatic information to Apple, but I also was in Yosemite PB1 and I don't recall this issue then. Now that I think of it it could also be Carbon Copy Cloner waking my system up for some reason even though my backup is scheduled for 12PM, which is a whole 12 hours away from when my iMac woke up.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
I don't have any scheduled sleep/wake/shutdown that I know of unless El Capitan automatically added something.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be sending automatic information to Apple, but I also was in Yosemite PB1 and I don't recall this issue then. Now that I think of it it could also be Carbon Copy Cloner waking my system up for some reason even though my backup is scheduled for 12PM, which is a whole 12 hours away from when my iMac woke up.
Did you check the console to see what was happening?

delta77thegreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Checking Console, there seems to be a lot of stuff around 12:30 when it woke up. I see a lot of Notification Center stuff, that might be it.

delta77thegreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Code:
Bryces-iMac:~ bryce$ syslog |grep -i "Wake reason"
Jul 10 22:51:46 Bryces-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul 11 00:39:56 Bryces-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: RTC (Alarm)
Jul 11 06:06:43 Bryces-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC1
Jul 11 13:17:49 Bryces-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC1
Jul 11 23:49:49 Bryces-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC1
Jul 12 00:17:27 Bryces-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC1
Jul 12 00:29:31 Bryces-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC1
Jul 12 00:37:10 Bryces-iMac kernel[0] <Notice>: Wake reason: XHC1
Ran this through terminal, and the last 2 July 12 entries appear to correspond to the times when the Mac woke up. What does XHC1 mean?

Referring to this: http://osxdaily.com/2010/07/17/why-mac-wakes-from-sleep/

There is an EHC but no XHC1, maybe Apple redesignated EHC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.