Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigereat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
When I open a new page (like Finder) and extend it at full screen, it looks like I cannot completely cover the entire iMac screen with the newly opened page no matter how much I extend it. I still see some gap left between the page and the bottom of the screen showing my remaining desktop picture. (See pictures below)

I'm also not sure if my iMac is suffering with the black-light bleeding problem or not. Please advice. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    420.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    583.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 41

avihappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
When I open a new page (like Finder) and extend it at full screen, it looks like I cannot completely cover the entire iMac screen with the newly opened page no matter how much I extend it. I still see some gap left between the page and the bottom of the screen showing my remaining desktop picture. (See pictures below)

I'm also not sure if my iMac is suffering with the black-light bleeding problem or not. Please advice. Thanks

The inablilty to fill the screen is not a problem with the iMac, but rather something to do with how apple wrote OS X. It's like that on ALL MACS. Silly, I know...

IIRC, the backlight bleed is a symptom of the H-IPS panel (and the fact that Apple didn't put a polarizer, which itself causes other color distortion and increases cost). IPS without a polarizer won't do great blacks (which look silvery in the corners, depending on your viewing angle). This isn't the same as backlight bleed. If you center your face on a corner, then the rest of the screen with look silverish. Just look at this google image search: http://images.google.com/images?q=I...&client=safari&rls=en&tbs=isch:1&sa=2&start=0

In short, the corner glow is not a defect, but a symptom of the screen not having a polarizer.

swee5420

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
I thing it is consider as the backlight bleed.

since the off-angle glowing is affected when you look at a side angle instead of straight.

But your picture is taken at a straight angle, which leads me to believe that it is a backlight bleed instead of off-angle glowing.

Correct me if I am wrong.

This is how my panel looks. I think is backlight bleeding.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47456128@N07/4351566358/

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
You have the Dock on the bottom of the screen and hidden, don't you? If so, that's why there's that little gap there. The UI keeps that there so that there's always a couple of pixels there to trigger the Dock in. See the two screenshots from my MacBook to see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-21 at 10.42.54 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-21 at 10.42.54 AM.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen shot 2010-02-21 at 10.43.16 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-21 at 10.43.16 AM.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 51

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
IIRC, the backlight bleed is a symptom of the H-IPS panel (and the fact that Apple didn't put a polarizer, which itself causes other color distortion and increases cost). IPS without a polarizer won't do great blacks (which look silvery in the corners, depending on your viewing angle). This isn't the same as backlight bleed. If you center your face on a corner, then the rest of the screen with look silverish. Just look at this google image search: http://images.google.com/images?q=I...&client=safari&rls=en&tbs=isch:1&sa=2&start=0

In short, the corner glow is not a defect, but a symptom of the screen not having a polarizer.

x2

It's annoying, but it's NOT a defect. All new iMac's have this "issue". Hopefully Apple adds a polarizer for the Rev.2 iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.