Anyone else having trouble selling things?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Mar 7, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Im trying to pad my bank account due to an anticipated layoff later this year. There is a bunch of stuff Im trying to unload, everything from ipods to guns and guitars. Its all priced at or below market for similar items. Ive looked up the recent sale price for similar items on ebay/craigslist/gunbroker, etc., and priced everything slightly lower than that, but people either are making me obscenely low offers or not even replying.

Anyone else having similar issues ? Are people just not buying things these days?

2. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Try crack, it practically sells itself and you meet all sorts of interesting people :D

The reality I think the issue is that people are getting more frugal with their disposable income if they have it and saving it rather than spending it, but good luck.

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

Yes, I have had the same experience.

In my experience, people will try to 'low-ball' you to try and get a great deal. Just keep at it. Most of my stuff that didn't sell right away sold eventually.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

If you've already low-balled your stuff, you have no negotiating room. If you start with prices higher and negotiate down, it might work better in the long run.

5. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Some of those low ballers are horrible mother****ers, I was selling a car that needed its clutch plate replaced but worked great otherwise, and a real nice leather couch--some POS wanted to offer 100 dollars for both of them (the scrap value alone was worth more than that I could have pulled the engine and transmission, radiator starter, alternator and the wiring harness and gotten more at the scrap yard by weight).

There are the decent buyers who haggle too I eventually unloaded the car and the couch for 800 last I heard the guy fixed the clutch and it was running like a raped ape I am unaware of the fate of the leather couch.

6. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Well, I consider it pricing things to sell quickly. I really dont like the whole haggling thing at all. Sometimes I think people do that just for the heck of it.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Some people assume that longer eBay auctions some how produce more bids and a higher price, the reality is that this is often not true. Many people look for the items with either a favorable buy it now price or an auction ending soon. I'm told most of the bids on ebay happen in the last 24 hours of an auction, so if you're in day 4 of your 7 day listing and you aren't seeing much action, this would explain at least that effect. Even though its not really possible anymore, people seek value and low prices on eBay, hence they want to keep the number of bids low and "snipe" sometimes as well, assuming that if they don't bid until the last minute they aren't artificially raising the price.

As for everything else, I mean people who use craigslist are looking for deals and will haggle, I honestly don't know how to help you but perhaps list it without the discount you're mentioning, and just let it haggle down to your lower price.