Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Just picked up two (brand new from Apple) HomePod Minis and they refuse to get past the “setting up” screen. One of them been going for a couple hours and I can’t use my phone while it’s doing this so I canceled the setup. Tried both of them and they’re both doing the same thing. Even tried setting one up a few feet, line of sight, from my router and nothing.

My other four HomePod Minis were set up pre iOS 15 so I’m wondering if this is a software issue (what else is new, eh?). I watched a couple set up videos and it seems mine are also missing some steps during setup (enable location being one of them I can remember) but the soonest one I saw was also pre iOS 15 so don’t know if that’s changed. Absolutely frustrating!

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Not heard of that exact issue but I have noticed that when I have had to reset my HomePods, numerous times lately, one or two of them have been an absolute pain in the arse to set up. And I have to reset them again before it goes through.

Other than that, have you tried restarting your network?

Stuff like this never used to happen, it’s like Apple are going out of their way to make things difficult and as buggy as possible and I’m rapidly running out of patience with it all.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Not heard of that exact issue but I have noticed that when I have had to reset my HomePods, numerous times lately, one or two of them have been an absolute pain in the arse to set up. And I have to reset them again before it goes through.

Other than that, have you tried restarting your network?

Stuff like this never used to happen, it’s like Apple are going out of their way to make things difficult and as buggy as possible and I’m rapidly running out of patience with it all.
Good idea, thanks. Forgot about the ‘ol network restart but try to avoid those as much as possible. Everything (aside from these two HomePod minis setting up) is working perfectly and every time I do a restart of the network, there are a few critical HomeKit devices that are stubborn to reconnect and often need to be re-added. Thusly, destroying my automations and shortcuts lol.

I think I’d rather return the favor to Apple and keep returning them until I get a pair that connects without me having to sell my soul to the Devil.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Tried rebooting my network, tried rebooting my iPhone and iPad Pro, factory reset the HomePods, then tried connecting them with my iPhone and iPad… nada. They do show up on my network as connected to Wi-Fi with a strong connection but just stay stuck on “Setting Up” for hours. Can’t even get to the dreaded “Configuring“ stage. I’m just gonna return them and chalk it up to awful Apple software. They got me extremely frustrated lately. I’ll revisit this when 15.2 debuts.

1638687410548.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I can’t remember if I’ve said this before, but I genuinely believe that Apple will not, or cannot sort the issues that they have introduced regarding the HomePods and HomeKit across all devices with the 15 version of their software. People go on about how bad android software is, but I do not believe for one second it is worse than the **** show that Apple are producing lately.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I can’t remember if I’ve said this before, but I genuinely believe that Apple will not, or cannot sort the issues that they have introduced regarding the HomePods and HomeKit across all devices with the 15 version of their software. People go on about how bad android software is, but I do not believe for one second it is worse than the **** show that Apple are producing lately.
I agree and to be honest, your cynicism is comforting lol (not joking). Admittedly, I’ve become an Apple fan boy over the past few years as they started introducing more hardware and software features into the mix. Smart watch, smart speaker, streaming box, HomeKit, CarPlay, etc. When the eco system works in perfect harmony (and that’s a big WHEN), it’s completely unmatched. But I will also trash them when they deserve it. I don’t blindly defend this overpriced garbage. I started with the iPhone since the beginning and switched to Android after the 4S. Software limitations at the time prompted that. Something as simple as missing the messaging Bluetooth stack and not being able to view them in my car’s display when Android was able to was annoying. Came back for the iPhone X and Watch S3 but it seems there’s been a gradual decline since then. Everyday is a mystery. What hardware is going to die or what bug will destroy my productivity. Something as stupid as chime on HomePod. Was working perfectly fine last week. Now, not one of my many HomePods will chime when the doorbell is pressed. Android was not that bad. Only thing I’d really miss is probably iMessage.

Edit* Just to add, they obviously can’t make audio equipment worth a damn. AirPods Pro cracking and popping, HomePods farting and dying. Sheesh.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Wow!!! Ok, this is rich… posting this in case the next poor soul becomes a victim to Apple software.

So I exchanged those two HomePod Minis for a pair of new ones and came across the same issue. Just stuck on “Setting Up” for hours. Was at wits end and decided to search the internet one more time for a fix. Fortunately, I came across a Reddit post (owe that dude a beer big time) and I own a Mac, which is another requirement. So I was right about the software being the issue and not being compatible. Apparently, the HomePod Mini can’t use your iPhone or iPad to set up if the iPhone or iPad have OS 15 installed, since the HomePod Mini comes out of the box with OS 14.X installed. The just of the post is you have to connect the HomePod Mini to the Mac via the USB-C, go to Finder, click on the HomePod Mini and select the restore and update option. I would’ve never thought about doing this…. Well, it works now. So apparently you need a Mac just to get these things connected if you’re on iOS 15. Apple is has really gone way out there!

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePod/comments/q3n806

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Beyond my comprehension you have to jump through hoops like this these days with Apple. I do think they need to sack quite a few people and get their heads back into the game and their fingers out of their arse. But really glad you’ve got them up and running.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Beyond my comprehension you have to jump through hoops like this these days with Apple. I do think they need to sack quite a few people and get their heads back into the game and their fingers out of their arse. But really glad you’ve got them up and running.
Really unbelievable and surprised this hasn’t been more widely reported… or an indication that sales dropped dramatically since iOS 15. We’ll see what happens right after the holidays when people unwrap their shiny new Minis. Hopefully Apple corrects this debacle with 15.2. Cost me an unnecessary trip and transaction at the Apple Store. Thanks for listening lol ?

KayEm6419

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2020
Wow!!! Ok, this is rich… posting this in case the next poor soul becomes a victim to Apple software...

Appreciate your tenacity, Itinj24!

Thank you for posting this. I won't be hurling my HPmini from the balcony after all. -KM

Last edited:

DerekHHI

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2021
I added two mini’s last month as hubs for my new HomeKit setup. The only issue I have is playing my iTunes songs or play lists utilizing them. When I ask for a particular song or play list, a random song starts. I don’t subscribe to Apple Music but tech support says it’s not required to do what I want. I have to give credit there, because they’ve spent hours with me, including uploading log files from my iPhone, to try to get it fixed. Unfortunately, no dice. As far as HomeKit, everything works fine.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I added two mini’s last month as hubs for my new HomeKit setup. The only issue I have is playing my iTunes songs or play lists utilizing them. When I ask for a particular song or play list, a random song starts. I don’t subscribe to Apple Music but tech support says it’s not required to do what I want. I have to give credit there, because they’ve spent hours with me, including uploading log files from my iPhone, to try to get it fixed. Unfortunately, no dice. As far as HomeKit, everything works fine.
My issue was with the initial set up. Found a fix on Reddit ??

Reactions: DerekHHI

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Thank you for this post. I just ordered two more HomePod minis for pick up later on today. So if I have any issues setting up I will know what to do. I tried to wait for the orange colour to be available but it isn’t available until the end of January. I tried to use a couple of echo dots in the Interim period to hold me over but it’s not working for me.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thank you for this post. I just ordered two more HomePod minis for pick up later on today. So if I have any issues setting up I will know what to do. I tried to wait for the orange colour to be available but it isn’t available until the end of January. I tried to use a couple of echo dots in the Interim period to hold me over but it’s not working for me.
No worries. I just hope your set up goes a lot smoother than mine. My guess is that since the new colors released well into the iOS 15 cycle, they probably shipped with HomePodOS 15 already and this won’t be necessary. I’m a very neutral color kinda guy. All space gray for me. What colors did you go with?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No worries. I just hope your set up goes a lot smoother than mine. My guess is that since the new colors released well into the iOS 15 cycle, they probably shipped with HomePodOS 15 already and this won’t be necessary. I’m a very neutral color kinda guy. All space gray for me. What colors did you go with?
I just got one white and one space grey. I already have 2 space grey minis and two white minis. Both of my OG HomePods are white. To be honest as I have two young children I would prefer all black but they only had one of each colour so I went to with that.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I just got one white and one space grey. I already have 2 space grey minis and two white minis. Both of my OG HomePods are white. To be honest as I have two young children I would prefer all black but they only had one of each colour so I went to with that.
I think it was you that mentioned something about the chocolate on the white HomePods lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.