Anyone else having trouble with scanner and Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cyberone, Aug 9, 2011.

1. cyberone macrumors 6502

Can't make my old trusty HP M1005's scanner work.

Even third-party Readiris doesn't seem up to the task (version 12).

Could it be that it's one of the teething issues of OS 10.7?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You need new drivers for your all-in-one. Readiris is an OCR application, not a driver. Whenever you have issues with a device, the first place to look is the manufacturer's website. In the case of your device, HP has not updated the drivers since 2007.

You may check the shareware VueScan scanner driver. It explicitly does not support the HP LaserJet M1005 MFP on MacOS X. The Windows version of VueScan requires HP drivers. However, all is not lost. Support by the open source TWAIN SANE project for your device is listed as good.

3. cyberone thread starter macrumors 6502

MM you make my day!

SANE doesn't look too easy though.

If you mind, to make it work I have to install TWAIN SANE Interface one should install the libusb and the sane-backends binary packages?

As simple as that?!

Or is there a one-time-download/installation?

4. boninmi, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

boninmi macrumors newbie

boninmi

Here is a summing up of the situation and suggestion for an alternative solution.

Some improvement after 10.7.1 ? With the "Mask details" button Image capture does some work with the SANE drivers. Nothing better with "View details".

5. boninmi macrumors newbie

boninmi

I don't think there is a one time download installation. You must begin by libusb, sane-backends. But I am afraid it could not be possible with Lion, because the packages are not built for it and I got an error message when trying a new installation.

6. cyberone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks boninmi, same here, downloaded the 4 packages from Mattias' site, but can't install them. Let's hope he's working on updates!

VueScan shows mentioned printer as supported as well, but can't even install VueScan on Lion, app just hangs when trying to open it.

7. boninmi macrumors newbie

boninmi

I hope so. Mattias Ellert did not announce it yet, however.
    The M1005 is supported by VueScan for Windows, not for Mac OS X. Did you install the Lion version of VueScan ? So it does not find the driver.

Was your Mac sold with Lion on it or did you made an upgrade from Snow Leopard ? In that second case you could install Snow Leopard on some external USB device an so install the Twain Sane packages on it.