Anyone else having trouble with texting non iPhone users from iPad?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Mikhailov, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Mikhailov macrumors regular

Calling works just fine, but my texts started coming through on my iPad, then just stopped. I am on iOS 8 GM on iPad Air and iPhone 5.

2. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Apple has pulled this feature until October I think according to their website.

But still been working on and off for me.

3. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

Really? That was unexpected. I wonder why. Was working great until last night sometime.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

How the hell did they remotely pull a feature that operates entirely locally?

That's a bit scary. Same here; it was working great, then stopped mysteriously.

It's making me wonder just how much control Apple has over our devices.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

More than we want to know.

6. atrevers macrumors regular

atrevers

I don't think it's entirely local - pretty certain mine was working when phone and Mac weren't on same wifi (i.e. It was syncing SMS to Mac whilst I was out of the house). If that's the case, easy for them to turn off!

Also, they've always had granular control - after earlier iOS releases they've enabled options etc at later points when features have gone live after release dates (sadly I can't remember concrete examples).

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It doesn't work locally. It forwards calls via FaceTime and SMS via iMessage.

Phone receives SMS -> Phone sends SMS up to iMessage -> iMessage sends SMS down to your other devices.

Same goes with calls.

8. Skika macrumors 68030

Sms relay is NOT done locally. Basically when your iPhone receives an sms it sends it to Apple' servers which then pushes it to your iPad or Mac.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They normally do this with point releases. So I imagine 8.0.1 or 8.0.2 will enable "handoff", and will coincide with the launch of Yosemite.

10. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Don't forget Phone receives SMS -> Phone sends SMS to NSA server farm.

just kidding, it's easily one of the most useful features Apple has added in years.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

clearly it doesn't operate 'entirely locally'.

12. atrevers macrumors regular

atrevers

Normally, yes, but there have been occasions where they've added new items to the Settings menu for a particular (probably non "marquee") feature between point releases. I can't for the life of me remember what, but I seem to remember it was something in the early days of iCloud; hopefully somebody out there has a better memory than me and can enlighten us.

Certainly in this case, they can disable or enable SMS relay without needing to do a point release, especially given that all the other aspects of handoff and continuity are working already provided you're using Yosemite and iOS 8. I suspect they'll just turn the feature back on server-side around the time that Yosemite goes GM.